EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Anyone install a Time Sert

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 PM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Default Anyone install a Time Sert

on the bike w/o pulling motor and splitting cases?

Any tricks of the trade?

Unfortunately the heli-coil which was in it is not holding. So gonna do the right thing and install the time sert.

When I installed the heli-coil I had taped up the bottom of the hole and made a small vacuum hose and used a ton of grease to capture any metal chips.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:36 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I used them for pulled cylinder studs, there A1. I left motor in frame, I didn't do the 2 in the very rear of the rear cylinder but I did the other 6.

Last edited by RidemyEVO; 04-30-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:42 AM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
I used them for pulled cylinder studs, there A1. I left motor in frame, I didn't do the 2 in the very rear of the rear cylinder but I did the other 6.
I should have been more specific. I am using it on the cam side rear jug, right rear head stud. Tight squeeze but using a right angle drill will help.

Any tips?

Old 05-01-2012, 03:50 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TIPN8R
I should have been more specific. I am using it on the cam side rear jug, right rear head stud. Tight squeeze but using a right angle drill will help.

Any tips?
When you say right rear head stud are you talking about the exhaust stud? With the time serts as long as there's enough material to accept there outer threads your ok but you must keep it 90 degrees to the surface, with the tools that come in the kit making room for the drill is usually the most difficult part.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:04 AM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member

No, using it on the head stud. The right rear jug(stud) pulled itself out last year, did a temp fix using a heli-coil but since I am installing an all new top end and I'm ready to re-assemble I am going to fix it the right way...hopefully for the last time...

Old 05-01-2012, 04:49 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TIPN8R
No, using it on the head stud. The right rear jug(stud) pulled itself out last year, did a temp fix using a heli-coil but since I am installing an all new top end and I'm ready to re-assemble I am going to fix it the right way...hopefully for the last time...
You should have no problem if you can keep the drill bit straight and I think once you pull the helicoil out you\ll find your not taking much material off anyway. If you can drill it at the proper angle the rest is easy. Just take your time.There is some demo videos on http://www.timesert.com/html/install.html#A as well if you google them you'll find some other youtube stuff.

Last edited by RidemyEVO; 05-01-2012 at 05:02 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Helicoils were originally invented for use in aircraft engines and other high performance applications, so if yours was installed correctly it should be fine. Every aeroplane in the sky is a close formation of hundreds if not thousands of helicoils! I have used them in the past as repairs with complete success, so don't change for the sake of change.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:08 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Had another thought, when you goto use the drill put lots of thick grease on the bit and clean the bit often each time you go into the hole and thats the same with tapping the hole, it doesn't take a high rpm on the drill. What I did for the other holes because the crank is right there is I put an old picture layers with grease and slipped it under the case lip where I had to drill to catch anything and before I pulled the picture out I cleaned the hole of the grease which held the metal that didn't get stuck on the bit grooves, which reminds me pack the hole full of grease before drilling, the more grease involves the more control you'll have.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:22 AM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member

I'm actually quite familiar to Time Serts. I have a kit already which I have used on my F150 for the ever so popular plug blow out. I also used tons of grease and made up a small vacuum tube when doing so.
When I installed the heli-coil last year I also mudded it up well with grease too.
I also know how to install a heli coil correctly and it was installed perfectly but those heli coils do NOT always hold up.
I've wrenched and machined for over 25 years and have seen them pull out on BB Chevy's, Ford, etc...and although they usually work fine they sometimes fail.

I was just looking for some other advice for doing this job on the bike, and I do appreciate all the feedback and will no doubt "get r dun"

Old 05-01-2012, 11:40 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

If your experienced with them your good to go and your already familar with the tips. Post back how you make out.

Quick Reply: Anyone install a Time Sert