EVO All Evo Model Discussion

sprung old pogo style seat anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 02:56 PM
aaamax
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default sprung old pogo style seat anyone??

Has anyone here ever put a sprung, old style, seat on their softail? Say a pogo saddle from the old EL or even the FLH. Bring you up a little bit length (I'm 6'4) and give a nice vintage look. Is there something made new that has same look effect? Any thoughts? Bad idea??? Don't really dig the look of the new Crossbones type thing and their plasti frame cover. I would be doing it to a '99 Fatboy. I loved the wide old seat on my '74 FLH... Could ride all day and never get chafed.
Thanks in advanced.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:38 PM
cwhite6
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I have found, it is not a bolt in fit. The frame on a 99 softail is not set up to take a pogo seat. Your oil tank will interfere with it and you do not have the proper mounting places. There are a ton of ways to adapt a spring seat and make it look clean. Check out the Exile link below if your heart is set on a pogo seat. But, you have to change to a round oil tank. BTW, HD makes a tallboy seat that will raise you up. I am 6'4" also and I tried one of the seats at a dealer. It looks nice and did lift me up. They are pretty reasonably priced too.

http://www.exilecycles.com/index.php?section=40

Old 04-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Bama91
Tourer

There is a bracket that bolts to the frame. The 2 springs fit onto the bracket. I have one laying around the shop somewhere. Below is a pic. I can measure it if you want. See if it fits over your tank.

Attached Thumbnails sprung old pogo style seat anyone??-thumbnail.aspx.jpeg  
Old 04-18-2012, 09:32 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Hells yea it's a good idea,I'm going that way soonish.
My bike is long and low so it will look the bomb

Old 04-19-2012, 01:35 AM
aaamax
Road Captain

Thanks for the pic Bama. I found this kit and it looks like it has potential and similar to your bracket. Hard to tell how high up it would come and not real wide, but hell, it's a start.
Retrocycle in NJ.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-19-2012, 10:14 AM
cwhite6
Tourer

The kit you are showing is for a sprung seat with two seat springs. You referenced a pogo seat in your first post, that is why I gave you the response I did. There are probably 10 different kits like the one you posted just on the JP Cycles website. One thing though, make sure you get good quality springs, no cheap ones. Your bike will thank you. I have even seen little shocks that take the place of the springs.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:44 PM
aaamax
Road Captain

Cwhite is right (has a nice ring to it).
I think the springs are a pale replacement for a Pogo looks wise. I checked out the bracket on the Exile site... Looks promising. But unfortunately not a bolt on. If I was a good wrench, it would be a no brainer. Do you know of anything that is a decent compromise without monkeying with the oil tank? Can the simple sprung seat be mounted to ride as high as a pogo? Which kit would you recommend?
Thanks.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:19 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

The 1979 FLH POS came with a sprung seat but no pogo. There were spring gizmos at the side sort of under the seat, if I recall. They didn't work as well as the pogo and I added a pogo to the bike I had.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,770 Likes on 2,020 Posts

Problem with the Evo Softail is that the "seat tube" which would accept the pogo springs is "pinched" to clear the large valve covers, so the pogo spring won't fit.

Too bad, because I think the sprung seat belongs on the Softail.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:55 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

they make a pretty close looking sprung seat.it uses a short fat spring instead of the pogo. ironass on here has one on a softail springer, and i know there are a few others around.. i dont know who makes it, but it should be pretty easy to find if you search.. i think v-twin mfg sells one

Attached Thumbnails sprung old pogo style seat anyone??-024.jpg  

Quick Reply: sprung old pogo style seat anyone??