EVO All Evo Model Discussion

I'm baffled with BAFFLES!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I'm baffled with BAFFLES!!!!

So I purchased and installed a set of Cycle Shack slash-up slip-ons on my EG. I love the way they look and I got a smokin' deal on them. Only problem is I hate the sound. Way too quiet. I'm a hot rodder. I like 'em loud.
I take the bolts out that "hold" the baffles in and I'll be snookered if the stupid things will even move. Anyone know of a way to get them out without taking the mufflers off the bike?

Old 04-17-2012, 09:21 PM
dub976
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you thread the screw on the baffle from the inside? Try catching a few good threads so you can grab it with a pair of vice grips/channel locks. Another option is if you can get to the nut welded to the baffle and pull it. Others have said a coat hanger inserted should do the trick.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:25 PM
robo74
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue with mine, I don't know the brand. I took the tips off, I can move the baffles a bit, but they won't come out. Cant find any additional bolts or anything. I drank much beer over this issue.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:14 PM
73oldsman
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hook the nut that the screw was screwed into inside the baffle with a long allen wrench that is locked into the jaws of a pair of vise grips. I then pull the baffle and work it out far enough to where I can grab the baffle with the vise grips. It can take a while to work it out because the baffle media tends to hold it tight inside the pipe.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:48 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master

Originally Posted by 73oldsman
I hook the nut that the screw was screwed into inside the baffle with a long allen wrench that is locked into the jaws of a pair of vise grips. I then pull the baffle and work it out far enough to where I can grab the baffle with the vise grips. It can take a while to work it out because the baffle media tends to hold it tight inside the pipe.
This is the best way I knows to do it. 99.999% of th time if there's a set screw holding the baffle in place then they will come out. The instructions in this quote will usually yield the best results. They can be evil little bastards to get out but patience, fortitude and some elbow grease (or wd40) will work wonders. Let us know if they come out for ya.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:22 AM
Gunslingertom
Road Master

Thanks guys, I will try all of these methods until I get them out and I will report back.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master

Well, I tried everything and the only thing that worked was taking them off and pushing them out with a hammer handle from the front end. I was able to get one to move a hair with the allen wrench trick, but that's it. Sounds great though. Not as loud as my Sampson's, but lower and more growly.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Scratt
Outstanding HDF Member

I have the cycle shack full pipes, I had to use a slide hammer with a hook on the end.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Slide hammer is the way to go. You can make one out of some threaded rod with some large washers and a nut on the end, piece of heavy pipe for the slide. I use a 2 foot piece of rod with a hook bent on one end and the other bent like a U. Take your airchisel without a chisel in it, put the short end of the U in it and hook the other end of the rod in the baffle...yanks them right out with no fuss, everytime..

Doug

Old 04-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master

Originally Posted by Scratt
I have the cycle shack full pipes, I had to use a slide hammer with a hook on the end.
I thought about using a slide hammer, but couldn't find one at the time.

Originally Posted by Doug S
Slide hammer is the way to go. You can make one out of some threaded rod with some large washers and a nut on the end, piece of heavy pipe for the slide. I use a 2 foot piece of rod with a hook bent on one end and the other bent like a U. Take your airchisel without a chisel in it, put the short end of the U in it and hook the other end of the rod in the baffle...yanks them right out with no fuss, everytime..

Doug
Good idea. I will definitely remember this one.