EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Your take on helmet types

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 03:02 PM
jakeryder
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always wore a non dot half helmet. Then I was in a collision with a 1/2 ton truck that cut me off, my little 20 yr old helmet made it thru with just a couple scratches... my chin and my jaw were not so lucky. 2 months of sucking soup thru a straw and I'll soon be getting braces to re-align my teeth. I've got a full face now

Old 04-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an ex-racer, I prefer full face helmets. They are no hotter than a 3/4 during the summer and you don't get the blast furnace effect of the 115°f air around here. Most of my friends ride 'naked' and have bad limps. I don't. To each their own. As far as brands, go with what fits and replace it every few years.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:54 PM
mswjude
Novice

My new favorite is the Nolan N43. It's lite, great amount of vision, acts as either a full face or 3/4, has the drop down tinted shield, easy buckle and is on clearance and can be found for around $200. I still use my Scorpion ff for colder weather or interstate travel for peace of mine. I rode for 18 years with no helmet but since having a kid have changed perspectives and now love the security and increased ability to ride in most weather or road conditions.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:57 PM
mswjude
Novice

Here's a website since I struggle with posting images.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...et---2011.aspx

Old 04-19-2012, 09:10 PM
dissident
Stage I

here's what I just bought, they get excellent reviews for peripheral vision and the 'vintage' model is on sale/closeout

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...vintage-helmet

It's remarkably comfortable for a first helmet I ordered online and fits perfectly in me on medium size.

Last edited by dissident; 04-19-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:23 PM
tonka45
Cruiser

I just got a new Bell Star full face,,,DOT and Snell approved,,,we no longer have a helmet law,, but since it is my choice,,,I wear the Bell. For me it fits perfect, has great ventilation, easy fast shield change and great anti-fog feature....Wear what you like...its not a fashion parade...is it??

Old 04-20-2012, 01:53 PM
ccahdvm
Intermediate

1/2 shell for me for the last 25+ years in all weather conditions and about 25 of the lower 48 states. I just can't handle the loss of peripheral vision, although the current full face helmets have solved most of that (wore a full face for years on the dirt and dual-sport bikes as a kid). I solve most of the temperature and ear -beating problem with baclavas, bandanas, ear plugs, etc. To each his own; "Some states require you to wear a helmet, which is unconstitutional, and some states don't, which is idiotic". by Roger Lovin in "The Complete Motorcycle Nomad"

Old 04-20-2012, 02:16 PM
FXDX_Sapper
Novice

Had to wear DOT on base (army wont let you ride without it) but my fav is the nov half helmet jockey style with the lip backwards its much more comfy then any dot half helmet but on the long hauls i got my matte black joe rocket full face to help with the wind.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:29 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have one of each... 1/2, 3/4 and full. In Nov '09 I crashed wearing the 1/2 and bounced my head off the pavement...don't even remember it. The helmet didn't crack but my brain took a shot. Pick one, they are definitely better than nothing.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:30 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I just got a bell drifter half helmet but haven't ridden with it yet. I have a Hawk carbon fiber FF that is light an quiet for highway use. I ride with out one around town but plan on using the bell for that this summer.

Quick Reply: Your take on helmet types