EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Share your cop stories....Or stereotyping stories

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 08:22 AM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,573 Likes on 5,864 Posts
Default LEO Encounters

I think that what I personally am seeing in my area is a sign of the econonomy.

I just wrote about a recent experience in a different thread and I'll re-cap later, but my belief is that governments are feeling the pinch with so many out of work, less tax inflow, resistance to tax increases, and they are looking for additional revenue.
I see more speed traps in unusual locations and suspect that they keep moving them to snare the unwary and move on when that location dries up. Last week I reported that 26 RED LIGHT Camera set-ups have been placed in the Rochester N.Y area, this week we are now "enjoying" 28 of them, with 50 total planned.

My experience. Old FLHS bagger, not loud, me 62 years old wearing safety gear, my riding buddy, Kawasaki Concours, 55 or so, lit up in Neon. My way of emphasizing that we do not look dangerous, and our bikes are not "scary" looking in the least. We are in a line of traffic and we are directly behind a Sheriff car riding out of the center of town, obviously not speeding etc.
The Sheriff is watching us in his mirror, signals and pulls over to the shoulder and we pass. He immediately cuts back in line in front of the traffic following us, and he makes a run up my back side. I'm guessing that he is checking my tags, calling in our plates (?)

After following us for a while he peals off the road and goes on.

No harm no foul, but clearly he was looking for something and you can't help but feel that we are now prey for a money hungry government.

A friend just told me "Just make sure that your paperwork is up to date, don't break any driving laws, and stop for all lights and you will be fine."
True enough, and pretty much that sums up how we roll. But I'm not a fool and I tend to flow with the traffic and not make myself a road hazard. When you do so even in the right lane if you are flowing with traffic you are often "speeding", and I've picked up my share of invitations to contribute to local jurisdictions over the years.

But I also sense an increase in surveillance, and an increase in summons issuance ,and do not like the feeling that citizens are now being overly scrutinized as a source of income. If my paranoia is true then it's only a matter of time where things get harder and more picky as people become more careful.

However if Money is the object, then money will be squeezed no matter how rigidly you toe the line, period. It's going to get tougher and tougher to enjoy a cruise without constantly wondering where/when/how are they going to shake me down.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:21 AM
cwhite6
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it depends on where you are. The local motorcycle police always just waved or nodded at me. I did get tailed and I thought it was funny. I am around 6'4" and at the time 250+ lbs with a full beard. It was chilly, so I was wearing my full coat, chaps and my vest with my big CVMA patch on the back of it. I went for a ride and the local police man in the tiny town I was passing through pulled out behind me and followed me all the way through town to the town limits. Then he peeled off. I have a lot of respect for most police. Their job is not an easy one in alot of places and the ones I know personely are good folks who have a passion for their job. So, it struck me as funny. I also have a CWP and if I was carrying (I don't remember if I was) the encounter may have gotten interesting if he stopped me.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

Havent had any problems with the Leo's for 30 years or so, at least none that I didnt provoke in some way or another. Either way they havent been jerks unless I was one. Although 30 years ago while on a "ride-about" around the country on my panhead (kinda looked like Billies bike from Easyrider), long hair, bad attitude, 10 foot tall and bulletproof. I meet up with a local barny in Tennesse that didnt like me in his town, I told him that is a free country and I'll ride where I dam well please.........spent 2 weeks in the local station for being a biker, I guess. But then I guess you get what you give, when I started showing some respect to them, they let me go. Since then I've found that if you show a little respect to the badge, they dont treat you so bad.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:18 AM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,573 Likes on 5,864 Posts
Default Police

No question about it, many/most police have a passion for their job, wanting to do good. And I have a lot of respect for many as individuals; generally speaking they are great guys that I enjoy talking to.

However a percentage of them are power/control freaks, and some are "legal" criminals, who need to be weeded out. We have at least two local enforcement agencies that are locally famous for the number of officers spending time in Prison, after years of terrorizing the citizens.

It comes with the nature of the job, and as long as you see some attempt to contain it, it is what it is.

However I do believe that I see MUCH more enforcement of the revenue enhancement variety over the last few years.

To be sure, technically they are correct. I don’t believe that they are issuing trumped up tickets.

Realistically???? It appears to be mostly a nuisance/send us some money, we caught you slightly over the lines and you must pay activity.
Yes times are tough, money is a problem everywhere, and truthfully, this seems like a biting the hand that feeds you Endeavour.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:08 AM
D Bag
6th Gear

Missouri cops don't really mess with bikers. There was a group of about 10 of us that rolled through a speed trap going at least 50 in a 20 and the cop didn't even follow us. It's when you have that three piece patch on that the cops will mess with you around here.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Bleachey
Tourer

Went for a little ride Sunday with my neighbor, who happens to be a retired policeman. He was the first to notice a little smoke coming out of my tailpipe when I roll on the throttle coming out of turns, etc. Anyway, we were at the light waiting to turn off the highway and I asked him to let me lead up the road to our neighborhood to see if I was still getting the little puff when I rolled on the throttle. The light changed, I pull out ahead get up to about 40, the speed limit, let her settle in and then roll on throttle. I do this a few times on the mile or so run, no houses just an old county road with farm fields, to our neighborhood. I probably got her up to 60 at one point. Once we turn into our neighborhood I keep it pretty close to the 30mph limit through the windy road and when I come to the stop sign all of a sudden I hear a siren and a cop rolls up next to me. He starts ripping my *** about it being a residential neighborhood and how I shouldn't be doing 70. I shut my bike off and ask him where I was doind 70? Now he's not in uniform, and I din't realize it at the time, but he was a couple cars behind us at the light. Anyway I told him I was up close to 60 on the empty road leading to the neighborhood checking out a problem, but once I hit the houses I slowed her down. My neighbor had climbed off his bike at this time and procedded to rip this cop a new ******* and told him that he would be hearing from his captain. Apparently my neighbor had a run-in earlier with this officer, explained to him that he was taught not to police his own neighborhood unless it was a serious situation. Turns out Dan (neighbor) had gone through the academy with this boys captain and had a previous conversation about his draconian attitude. Last night the captain rang my doorbell and apologized, told me if I ever had any other issues to give him a call and gave me his card.

Last edited by Bleachey; 04-18-2012 at 10:58 AM.