EVO All Evo Model Discussion

90 FLTC Engine Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012 | 10:23 PM
D1gger
|
Road Captain

Well the socket set at Sears that went up to 1-1/2" was now $50 instead of $25 and upon looking at the socket, it did not look large enough. I quickly checked on here with my phone, but found no new info, so I called an indy I know and asked him. He said that he thinks it is 1-7/8". Sears had nothing that large in stock. I called another friend that works in a big rig shop and he brought home a few sockets from 1-1/2" through 1-7/8" plus the ratchet and breaker bar to match. So maybe tomorrow I can get him to come over and we can get the comp off and the rest of the engine out of the frame to send off. Fingers crossed...

Old 04-20-2012 | 10:34 PM
D1gger
|
Road Captain

Okay, I feel like a dumba$$. I dug out my calipers and went out to the garage and actually measured the comp nut. 1-1/2". So the indy was wrong(this is the third time he has been wrong out of 5). Hopefully my friend has the 1-1/2" socket in that set. The longer this takes, the more frustrated I am getting...

Old 04-20-2012 | 10:43 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Please don't take this the wrong way but I gotta chuckle when you said your getting frustrated trying to find the right size socket, you should try figuringing out why a brand new carb is leaking out the overflow. Don't frett it'll all work out in the long run.
I thought 1-7/8 sounded big, thats the size needed for the drive pulley big nut.

Old 04-21-2012 | 07:33 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by D1gger
Okay, I feel like a dumba$$. I dug out my calipers and went out to the garage and actually measured the comp nut. 1-1/2". So the indy was wrong(this is the third time he has been wrong out of 5). Hopefully my friend has the 1-1/2" socket in that set. The longer this takes, the more frustrated I am getting...
There is no reason for you to feel like a dumb-***. Your indy is the dumb-***. You need to find a different indy because the one you are seeing obviously has no idea bout EVO's (maybe harleys in general).

I have pulled the primaries off from '86 - '99 and the compensator nut has always been 1 1/2 inch.

There are a couple of video's on U-Tube about taking apart a primary.

When you are feeling frustrated the best thing to do step back have a beer and relax.

Good luck.

Old 04-21-2012 | 03:10 PM
D1gger
|
Road Captain

That's what I figured I would do(except for the beer, I don't drink).

But here's the story about why it's so important to me.

On April first, my long time girlfriend and I got engaged officially. Our dream is to get married on the Harley. Our plan is to have it fixed in time for the date we picked, June 12th, 2012. We plan to jump on the bike and ride to Hazel Mountain Overlook on Skyline Drive, Shenandoah National Park, and meet with an officiant to have the wedding right there on the overlook. Shenandoah Park is very important to my entire family and it's where we got engaged as well. I have been all along the drive numerous times, but never on a bike yet. If need be, we will drive one of the cages, but we really want to be on the bike instead.

So now you know why I am getting frustrated! LOL!

Old 04-21-2012 | 04:12 PM
ElectraDave
Road Captain

Comp nut is 1 1/2"....clutch hub nut is 1 3/16".....

Old 04-21-2012 | 08:58 PM
jgc 89
Intermediate

comp is11/2 inch clutch nut is 11/8 use impact wrench works good.and dont forget the allen bolt on the bottom of inter primary. back side

Old 04-21-2012 | 09:42 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by D1gger
That's what I figured I would do(except for the beer, I don't drink).

But here's the story about why it's so important to me.

On April first, my long time girlfriend and I got engaged officially. Our dream is to get married on the Harley. Our plan is to have it fixed in time for the date we picked, June 12th, 2012. We plan to jump on the bike and ride to Hazel Mountain Overlook on Skyline Drive, Shenandoah National Park, and meet with an officiant to have the wedding right there on the overlook. Shenandoah Park is very important to my entire family and it's where we got engaged as well. I have been all along the drive numerous times, but never on a bike yet. If need be, we will drive one of the cages, but we really want to be on the bike instead.

So now you know why I am getting frustrated! LOL!
Man I hear you but you better check on the turn around time for a Harley re-man motor. Ask a different indy or your local dealer. 2 months seems like cutting it close to me but I don't know the turn around time.

I really hope you get your bike running in time.

Old 04-21-2012 | 11:16 PM
D1gger
|
Road Captain

According to the MoCo website, turnaround on their end is 2 weeks, so add in the shipping time and the time I need to wrench on it... Seems doable to me...

Old 04-22-2012 | 08:53 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

You are right it should be doable.

Quick Reply: 90 FLTC Engine Removal