EVO All Evo Model Discussion

need to feed some speed to the old girl

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 10:27 PM
ractrev
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default need to feed some speed to the old girl

OK.....so I picked up my bagger over the winter - my first HD. I have owned almost every other brand out there, and have many buddies who have been on Harleys for years. I chose an Evo because (IMO) they sound better than the TC, I like the simple design, and the carb. I have rode enough of them to know that the power is not stellar, but I told myself that it does not matter - getting older, it's not a race, it's a geezer bike, blah blah. BUT... the truth is, I REALLY would like a little more. My bike is basically stock with 44K on it. It has slip on Thundercones, and I have cleaned and jetted the carb. I had planned to install an Andrews EV27 after I put a few miles on it, but after riding 2000 miles in the last 3 weeks or so, I am wondering if a cam change alone will give me the extra push I would like. I know everyone has an opinion, but I guess I would like to hear a few of them - I do not want to drop in the latest mail-order special - just want to see if anyone has some thoughts from what they have done.
Sorry about the book here.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Talking

Oh boy, you want US to help you spend your money?! Where shall I begin!

It is worth taking a little time over this. I bought my 1990 Glide new and bone stock, so have been through: stage 1, EV27 cam etc, stroker kit with head work and now an S&S 107" motor. It isn't enough, although it does help me to get by. Or to put it another way, a little more can become never ending!

You will find threads in here on various degrees of improvements that you can do and should get plenty of suggestions to chew over. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out!

Old 04-09-2012, 06:56 AM
I8SMK4U
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently did S&S 510 cam, lifters, and push rods cost almost a grand, + some other little service stuff but with the cam alone I got throttle response and a wider power band. Not like an outrageous amount of power but runs a lot better. I have always lived by " there is no replacement for displacement," and if I had the $$$$ most definitely would drop in one of the Ultima El Bruto motors in her. I would go big on your Ultra Classic. My buddy dropped an S&S 127 in his Ultra Classic, man alive, that's the ticket......

Old 04-09-2012, 08:42 AM
ractrev
Road Warrior

I know I have lived by the 'no replacement for displacement' rule in the automotive world. I am aware that I am a big guy on a heavy bike. My last cruiser (metric) was around 103 HP. I have one riding buddy who has a stroked Evo that puts out just over 100HP, his brother that has a TC he bought used and does not know the engine history - but it scoots, and another with a new SG with a 103 with S&S cams, exhaust, air, and a tune. I am aware I will always be in the back of this pack (used to be in the lead), but I would like to at least be able to keep up. I hate the thought of spending the purchase price of the bike again to get to hang with the pack.....

Old 04-09-2012, 08:52 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Put an Ultima 120" in her and don't look back, because they will be there!!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:00 AM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by miacycles
Put an Ultima 120" in her and don't look back, because they will be there!!
Just wondering. When you change motors, do ya just unbolt the stuff from the Evo and bolt it on the Ultima? Or, is there a lot of stuff that has to be changed?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:23 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Talking

Originally Posted by traildog
Just wondering. When you change motors, do ya just unbolt the stuff from the Evo and bolt it on the Ultima? Or, is there a lot of stuff that has to be changed?
I am not sure about Ultimas, but my S&S came with carb and ignition system, so was bolt in. I had my S&S man install it. He replaced the compensator (the teeth were showing wear) and chain, but the most important thing was to beef up the clutch. On my 107" we achieved that with a stronger Barnett spring and, eventually, I eased the extra lever effort with a new Diamondback cable. For a 120" a new stronger replacement clutch may be necessary. As the power goes up further, a beefed up gear cluster (such as Zippers produce) also comes into the frame - if you decide that R&R 155" really is essential........

He also removed and thoroughly cleaned the oil tank and used fresh pipes, to remove all risk of spoiling the new engine. An S&S with IST ignition comes with 3 years warranty.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:33 AM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I am not sure about Ultimas, but my S&S came with carb and ignition system, so was bolt in. I had my S&S man install it. He replaced the compensator (the teeth were showing wear) and chain, but the most important thing was to beef up the clutch. On my 107" we achieved that with a stronger Barnett spring and, eventually, I eased the extra lever effort with a new Diamondback cable. For a 120" a new stronger replacement clutch may be necessary. As the power goes up further, a beefed up gear cluster (such as Zippers produce) also comes into the frame - if you decide that R&R 155" really is essential........

He also removed and thoroughly cleaned the oil tank and used fresh pipes, to remove all risk of spoiling the new engine. An S&S with IST ignition comes with 3 years warranty.
Thanks. I wonder how much HP and TQ my Evo has.........

Old 04-09-2012, 10:53 AM
ractrev
Road Warrior

I know a lot of the bolt in engines are Evo style - but doesn't the replacement just seem like you are losing the reason I bought it in the first place? For the money, wouldn't I be better off just trading to a newer bike? (not that I would necessarily - just sayin)

Old 04-09-2012, 11:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by traildog
Thanks. I wonder how much HP and TQ my Evo has.........
Roughly 50-60HP and 60-70TQ I would guess. My 107" is giving 101HP and 107TQ.

Originally Posted by ractrev
I know a lot of the bolt in engines are Evo style - but doesn't the replacement just seem like you are losing the reason I bought it in the first place? For the money, wouldn't I be better off just trading to a newer bike? (not that I would necessarily - just sayin)
Good point. There are rumours, I don't know how true, that S&S had a hand in developing the Evo with Harley, so I salve my conscience with that thought. Mine rides like a dream, if that helps!

Quick Reply: need to feed some speed to the old girl