EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Jiffy Stand and Forward Controls

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:39 AM
cwhite6
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jiffy Stand and Forward Controls

So, I am finished getting parts for my build and I am fitting stuff to check for fitment before tearing it down and painting. Looking at my 1998 softail manual (my build is very loosely based on a 98 FLSTC and I have a aftermarket Kraft Tech frame for that year), the mounting points for stock Harley forwards is very different than my forward controls. My forwards use all three holes on the primary side of the bike. So, how do I mount the jiffy stand? I have a new one that is for my year and comes complete with everything. Or, am I missing something here?

Old 03-27-2012, 06:35 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you post a picture??

Old 03-27-2012, 10:16 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cwhite6
So, I am finished getting parts for my build and I am fitting stuff to check for fitment before tearing it down and painting. Looking at my 1998 softail manual (my build is very loosely based on a 98 FLSTC and I have a aftermarket Kraft Tech frame for that year), the mounting points for stock Harley forwards is very different than my forward controls. My forwards use all three holes on the primary side of the bike. So, how do I mount the jiffy stand? I have a new one that is for my year and comes complete with everything. Or, am I missing something here?
If your shifter is like most it is mounted to a plate with several holes with the shifter shaft assembly going thru it at the top. The plate will mount to the 3 frame holes thus mounting the shifter. And if I remember right the side stand will also use one of the 3 frame holes and then 3 others on the shifter plate.
I'll see if I can get a pic up explaining what I'm talkin about.
jim

1st

2nd

3rd

Your's may not be the same as mine but I'm fairly sure the basic mount-up is very similar... Hope this helps!!
jim

Last edited by msgtarmor; 03-27-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:39 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

MSGTARMOR, You need to do some PMCS on that kickstand, it's starving for a little lube!! LOL Those pics should help him unless he has billet pieces as some of then aren't compatable. Im that case he will need the weld on one that just about everyone sells.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:56 AM
cwhite6
Tourer

Originally Posted by miacycles
MSGTARMOR, You need to do some PMCS on that kickstand, it's starving for a little lube!! LOL Those pics should help him unless he has billet pieces as some of then aren't compatable. Im that case he will need the weld on one that just about everyone sells.
I have aftermarket forward controls that use all three holes on the primary side of the bike. I will try to put the controls on tonight and take a picture and of the jiffy stand. It does not mount the same way as the stock controls shown.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:59 AM
cwhite6
Tourer

Originally Posted by msgtarmor
If your shifter is like most it is mounted to a plate with several holes with the shifter shaft assembly going thru it at the top. The plate will mount to the 3 frame holes thus mounting the shifter. And if I remember right the side stand will also use one of the 3 frame holes and then 3 others on the shifter plate.
I'll see if I can get a pic up explaining what I'm talkin about.
jim

Your's may not be the same as mine but I'm fairly sure the basic mount-up is very similar... Hope this helps!!
jim
Mine setup does not use a mounting plate. The forward controls are all one piece that mounts in the three holes the plate would use. Maybe I need to look into getting one of the plates and try mounting the controls to that. Does the brake side have a mounting plate also?

Old 03-28-2012, 09:15 AM
cwhite6
Tourer

I believe I may have answered my own question. I relooked at my controls online and I believe they have extra holes I did not notice in the mounting part for the jiffy stand. I will check during lunch and let you know. Thanks for the posts. You may me think and re examine which is always good.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:39 AM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by miacycles
I'm really **** about the maintenance on my bike. But I will admit the kick stand is often neglected!! Now that I've been reminded, I'll take care of that today!!
I know the billet ones are different but I figured it would help get him thinkin in the right direction!!
jim

Old 03-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,630 Likes on 5,716 Posts

Originally Posted by cwhite6
My forwards use all three holes on the primary side of the bike.

If your forwards only have three holes, they are not designed to mount a kickstand in the stock position. Most people use one that bolts on behind the primary ...your frame may or may not have the holes to mount...here's a link only because they have the best pics.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHOPPER-CHRO...5601%26ps%3D54

Old 03-29-2012, 09:10 AM
cwhite6
Tourer

I mocked up the forward controls and jiffy stand last night. I was wrong, my controls have the holes for the stand. Now I just need to get some better looking bolts for the forward controls and I will be set. Thanks for the help folks!