EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Chrome Primary Cover leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:34 PM
TattooedWhiteTrash11B
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Primary Cover leak

I bought my '85 FXRS last April and replaced the clutches soon after. When I put it all back together I put a brand new gasket on the primary cover. By the time I stored it for the winter it had started leaking on the bottom. I'm not sure if the chrome cover is stock or was put on later. Anyone know how to check if it's warped? If it's not warped, anyone have any tips to prevent it from leaking again once I put on a new gasket?

Old 03-26-2012, 05:45 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you sure its not coming from drain plug or beteen inner and outer? I generally use gasgacinch when I use gaskets.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:49 PM
TattooedWhiteTrash11B
2nd Gear

It's definitely leaking on the bottom side of the cover. As for the gasgacinch I'll give it a try when I change the gasket.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:54 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TattooedWhiteTrash11B
It's definitely leaking on the bottom side of the cover. As for the gasgacinch I'll give it a try when I change the gasket.
Be sure to stick to the torque spec.
And welcome to the site.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Jethro
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The best way to check the cover to see if it is warped, or bent, is to stop at the local hardware dealer, ask to look at the discarded glass section, and purchased an old piece to use. My local guy in town has lots of old windows that have been changed out. Usually can get a piece for about five bucks. Lay your cover down after you've cleaned out all gasket material and visually check for gaps. You can even spray paint the glass flat black, and leave a small circle unpainted to shine a flashlight through from below. Gaps show up very easily. You may then try to take out the warp... or use a local machine shop to plane it for you. Best of luck. I also use the best gaskets I can anymore, usually aftermarket, such as James or Cometic for all my work. I am NOT a fan of any gasket sealants, but it is only a personal preference.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:59 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jethro
The best way to check the cover to see if it is warped, or bent, is to stop at the local hardware dealer, ask to look at the discarded glass section, and purchased an old piece to use. My local guy in town has lots of old windows that have been changed out. Usually can get a piece for about five bucks. Lay your cover down after you've cleaned out all gasket material and visually check for gaps. You can even spray paint the glass flat black, and leave a small circle unpainted to shine a flashlight through from below. Gaps show up very easily. You may then try to take out the warp... or use a local machine shop to plane it for you. Best of luck. I also use the best gaskets I can anymore, usually aftermarket, such as James or Cometic for all my work. I am NOT a fan of any gasket sealants, but it is only a personal preference.
Or rather than going to hardware store just use the front picture window.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:45 PM
TattooedWhiteTrash11B
2nd Gear

I'm sure I didn't even think of that last year. Harley virgin at the time and didn't even have a manual. Next trip to Lowe's will result in the purchase of a torque wrench. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Bama91
Tourer

My service manual says after you have put all the primary covers on insert a fitting into the drain and put 5-8 psi air into the primary and check for leaks with soapy water. I've never done it but it could save you a quart of ATF.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:37 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

If you didn't put anything on the drain plug when you reinstalled it then it is probably the drain plug. I use Teflon Paste Thread Sealant every time I pull the drain plug. It is available at any hardware store.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:39 AM
Bama91
Tourer

Also may want to run a tap through the drain plug hole. They are real easy to screw up. The plug is black iron and the case is cast aluminum.

Quick Reply: Chrome Primary Cover leak