EVO All Evo Model Discussion

rear caliper

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 12:42 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default rear caliper

So I noticed on different occations last year and once already this year that my rear brake pedal would go right to the top and not depress. Normally it would push down a good bit to stop and I'm not saying the rear brake doesn't work when this happens but its defiantely not normal. I myself have never flushed out the rear brake resevoir and brake pads are good. Am I looking at replacing the rear caliper or what part can be breaking down?
Thanks

Old 03-24-2012, 01:16 PM
JohnFlorida
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fluid might not be returning to the resevoir . Sometimes the hole gets plugged. Try jacking the bike up and see if the back tire is grabbing with the brake off or go for a ride around the block without using rear brake then feel the rotor to see if its hot. Flush it out until you can see it squirting back.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,005 Likes on 543 Posts

Mine was unreliable at best when I first got her. I put in new pads and completely flushed the old BLACK brake fluid. I have had no issues and a good pedal ever since.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:09 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

I actually just came back from a ride and while I was on the flat pavement I did find it was keeping me from rolling and pedal was at the top and hard so I will have to try flushing it first.Is it possible the caliper is worn out?

Old 03-24-2012, 04:34 PM
JohnFlorida
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They dont really wear out seals go bad , piston gets gummed up etc. Piston gets clogged with dust and crap , you can usually clean it up with brake cleaner. You can buy a rebuild kit for cheap. New piston ,seals , clips around $40 I think. Just rebuilt mine a few months ago. You'll probably need compressed air to get the old piston out but be careful once you get air pressure behind the piston it will come out like a cannon. Try flushing the system with denatured alcohol

Old 03-24-2012, 09:13 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks I'll try doing a flush.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:29 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Going through something similar on mine. I use the back brake and it will remain slightly locked and my pedal will go all the way to the floor board. I'm trying to get the caliper off so I can rebuild it and then flush the rest of the system, but the bolts are dealing me a fit. I've broken 3 Craftsman 1/2 inch drive torx bits on it so far. I'd heat it with the torch, but I'm afraid of starting something on fire.
I don't know if someone used loctite on it, or if it's messed up from the leaky battery that I got it with. Maybe a combination of the 2. Either way, I'll keep hammering away at the bolts until something else breaks.
Good luck with your's. Let us know what you find out.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Bama91
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What fluid are you using? The old DOT 3 or new Silicone Dot 5? The old will definitely "gel" up in the caliper and stop it up (I just pulled my 80 XLH's apart to clean it, the fluid looked like silicone RTV). Also if you have an old rubber line from the light switch to the caliper, the old fluid can eat up the inside of the rubber line and cause it to collapse and the fluid will not return or pump into the caliper. The outside of the line looks/feels good but the inner liner is shot.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:59 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gunslingertom
Going through something similar on mine. I use the back brake and it will remain slightly locked and my pedal will go all the way to the floor board. I'm trying to get the caliper off so I can rebuild it and then flush the rest of the system, but the bolts are dealing me a fit. I've broken 3 Craftsman 1/2 inch drive torx bits on it so far. I'd heat it with the torch, but I'm afraid of starting something on fire.
I don't know if someone used loctite on it, or if it's messed up from the leaky battery that I got it with. Maybe a combination of the 2. Either way, I'll keep hammering away at the bolts until something else breaks.
Good luck with your's. Let us know what you find out.
Try giving them a tighten first then try loosening them, may break them free.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:33 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Lynn, if you haven't looked at this poor brake in a long while it would be wise to give the whole system a good once over, to make sure the master cylinder is working fine, as well as flushing through all traces of the old fluid. DOT5 is the stuff you need!

Quick Reply: rear caliper