Dreaded click

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:53 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Tex, try this first. Remove seat, put bike in neutral, and press start button. When relay under seat clicks tap it with a hammer (while holding start button. If she cranks, it's the relay.

I was planning on changing the relay anyway. It is cheap and I have spares.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:57 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Was it in a thread and if so which one or do you still have the procedure?
If memory serves me correct I didn't understand what the doc was referring to for normal opened and coils etc so he was kind enough to take the time to put in laymans terms through pm's plus just so it wasnt so hard on him I did some research. Here was the link http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pa...lay_basics.htm
When it comes to electrical Dr Hess is the goto Guy so when he said wire it a certain way I just went ahead and did it with battery cable ready to pull off of course.
I was going through many starting problems and decided to put a new 1.4 starter, cyclelectric 38 amp charging system ( highly recommend ) , push button on end of starter, battery and relay and of course rewired so my lites would be off to start bike and I haven;t had a problem since. Covered all the basis
Oh yes and dielectric is your best buddy.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:15 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
If memory serves me correct I didn't understand what the doc was referring to for normal opened and coils etc so he was kind enough to take the time to put in laymans terms through pm's plus just so it wasnt so hard on him I did some research. Here was the link http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pa...lay_basics.htm
When it comes to electrical Dr Hess is the goto Guy so when he said wire it a certain way I just went ahead and did it with battery cable ready to pull off of course.
I was going through many starting problems and decided to put a new 1.4 starter, cyclelectric 38 amp charging system ( highly recommend ) , push button on end of starter, battery and relay and of course rewired so my lites would be off to start bike and I haven;t had a problem since. Covered all the basis
Oh yes and dielectric is your best buddy.
The rewiring to have the lights off when I start the bike is what I was asking you about. Do you have a diagram for that?

Old 03-18-2012, 09:28 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

For the 89 flh it is quite easy but for your 95 softail I think it's a bit more complicated if all else fails an inline toggle switch would do the job, that's how my bike was when I first got it. Not sure if the manual for my wife's 89 heritage would cover your 95 or not but I will take a look.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:41 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,322 Likes on 3,178 Posts

Tex, not suggesting you do this. Bu if it's the relay. What I did was when the new relay failed after 3 months, I opened the old relay and adjusted the contacts closer together so a more firmer contact when energized. I also added a push button to the starter. Relay hasn't failed yet. But if it does, I'm ready.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:53 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

For the 89 flh it is quite easy but for your 95 softail I think it's a bit more complicated if all else fails an inline toggle switch would do the job, that's how my bike was when I first got it. Not sure if the manual for my wife's 89 heritage would cover your 95 or not but I will take a look.
My ignition switch has the 6 screws. I'm thinking I only have to switch the two wires that are close together. Is that what you remember?

Old 03-19-2012, 08:40 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Deleted

Last edited by texashillcountry; 03-19-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:00 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Sorry Texas had a relax time last nite with bike ride and dinner and a movie with wifey last.
OK first pic is of my 89 flhtp, all I did was snip the green jumper wire between the lited breaker and ignition breaker.

Here is your schematic

Near as I can tell your ignition switch doesn't have a lights position and all 4 breakers are contacted to the ignition pole. Funney I was working on my wifes 89 heritage yesterday installing a badlands signal module and never ever thought to check how hers was wired up.But one thing is for sure if you wanted to run a toggle switch between the lights breaker and the ignition pole where its connected right now it would be very easy.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:12 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Sorry Texas had a relax time last nite with bike ride and dinner and a movie with wifey last.
OK first pic is of my 89 flhtp, all I did was snip the green jumper wire between the lited breaker and ignition breaker.

Here is your schematic

Near as I can tell your ignition switch doesn't have a lights position and all 4 breakers are contacted to the ignition pole. Funney I was working on my wifes 89 heritage yesterday installing a badlands signal module and never ever thought to check how hers was wired up.But one thing is for sure if you wanted to run a toggle switch between the lights breaker and the ignition pole where its connected right now it would be very easy.
Actually my switch does have a lights position which is why I was concidering just switching the wire positions on it.

Does your wife's '89 have the ignitions switch with 6 wires going to it?

Old 03-19-2012, 01:28 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok first off this was a download manual for 84-99 softails so I can't verify the info unless you have the manual there for the schematic and can compare to see if what I'm posting is accurate? Funney the scematic doesn't show the light position, is it posible someone changed the ignition switch to have the extra position?
Here's the schematic for her 89 heritage or as it says 1989-1990 flstc which I'm making the assumption is for her heritage.

Got me curious now so I will have to pull her dash and take a look.

Quick Reply: Dreaded click