EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Dreaded click

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 05:27 PM
95 Ultra
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dealt with that dreaded click for 6 months before finally installing the extra relay under the seat. Never had a minutes trouble since then. You can buy the relay at autozone. Several people on here have posted detailed instructions on hooking it up. It's simple. Do a search on this site under the name "Galtjunk". I remember him posting detailed instructions on the relay, along with several other people, Dr. Hess included. The relay from autozone is only about 6 dollars. Takes about 30 minutes to hook it up. Before I wired the relay, I had installed a new solenoid, battery, triple checked all the connections, installed a push button solenoid, and was getting ready to buy a new starter when I finally decided to try adding the relay under the seat. That's what fixed it.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,411 Likes on 5,011 Posts

Here`s a link to the post by Dr. Hess:

Post #9

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...-question.html

Old 03-18-2012, 07:12 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Here`s a link to the post by Dr. Hess:

Post #9

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...-question.html
Thanks Dan that is what I was looking for before I started this thread.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:12 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

DR Hess I could be wrong but I could have swore I was watching a Youtube vid the other day on testing batteries and he had said anything about 9.something volts when the starter was pushed was a good battery, I tried this on mine with a volt meter on my battery and sure enough it blipped down just above 9.somthing volts and my bike starts np.
Texas you may have to give a good overnite charge with a 4amp charger and that will give the starter a good hit. Although a 2amp overnite will give a good longeveity charge. By the way when I did Dr Hess's dreaded click relay fix I copied a pic of my setup in my album. I kept the old relay and just parellel wired in the second relay. I also rewired so I could shut my lites off for starting. Also all the suggestions the guys made have to be done too. A good starting bike is a must.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,911 Likes on 1,426 Posts

If you're just getting a click and not spinning the starter, then 10V is going to be low, as the only load on that should be solenoid, which I think is about 10 amps, if I recall. The battery should not drop to 10V with a 10 amp draw, I don't think. Anyway, I think it's borderline and almost time to replace it anyway.

I have more comments further down in the thread linked to above. We really need to book mark that one and the How To Diagnose Your Electrical System one. Really needs a sticky.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:36 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
DR Hess I could be wrong but I could have swore I was watching a Youtube vid the other day on testing batteries and he had said anything about 9.something volts when the starter was pushed was a good battery, I tried this on mine with a volt meter on my battery and sure enough it blipped down just above 9.somthing volts and my bike starts np.
Texas you may have to give a good overnite charge with a 4amp charger and that will give the starter a good hit. Although a 2amp overnite will give a good longeveity charge. By the way when I did Dr Hess's dreaded click relay fix I copied a pic of my setup in my album. I kept the old relay and just parellel wired in the second relay. I also rewired so I could shut my lites off for starting. Also all the suggestions the guys made have to be done too. A good starting bike is a must.
Thanks for the picture that will help me a lot.
Where did you get the wiring directions to change the wiring on your ignition switch?

Old 03-18-2012, 08:40 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Thanks for the picture that will help me a lot.
Where did you get the wiring directions to change the wiring on your ignition switch?
LOL from the Doc of course

Old 03-18-2012, 08:42 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
If you're just getting a click and not spinning the starter, then 10V is going to be low, as the only load on that should be solenoid, which I think is about 10 amps, if I recall. The battery should not drop to 10V with a 10 amp draw, I don't think. Anyway, I think it's borderline and almost time to replace it anyway.

I have more comments further down in the thread linked to above. We really need to book mark that one and the How To Diagnose Your Electrical System one. Really needs a sticky.

I previously copied How To Diagnose Your Electrical System to a word document. It is great information. That is part of the reason I was kicking myself in the *** for not doing it for your adding a relay guide.

I have a new battery trickle charging right now and will install it in the morning. I will also look at adding a relay while I am in there.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:44 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
LOL from the Doc of course
Was it in a thread and if so which one or do you still have the procedure?

Old 03-18-2012, 08:49 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,322 Likes on 3,178 Posts

Tex, try this first. Remove seat, put bike in neutral, and press start button. When relay under seat clicks tap it with a hammer (while holding start button. If she cranks, it's the relay.

Quick Reply: Dreaded click