EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ultima engine for touring bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 02:33 PM
blakeforslund
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultima engine for touring bike?

Which is the best? 107 has lower compression, and closer to being a square engine, plus a cam that should be better for early torque and less lift (maybe quieter valve train) 113 is one of the most popular models, but I would think torque would come on later, and higher lift cam. 120 square motor with lowest compression.

Looking for decent mileage and reliability. But since they are all the same price, what is best?

Old 03-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bigger,is always better. You have never heard anyone complain they had too much power. Go as big as you can afford to. You aren't going to complain it's got too much man.
Jmo

Old 03-11-2012, 07:42 PM
blakeforslund
Intermediate

MPG and reliability are important also.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:13 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I've owned my 1990 FLHS from new and have gone from bone stock 80" to stage 1, to tuned 89" stroker, now an S&S 107! I can see the benefit of even more......

MPG is entirely down to how you ride it. A big motor ridden slowly will be about as economical as a smaller motor ridden at the same pace. It is when using the extra performance that mpg can take a beating, however I don't think my 107 is any less eceonomical than my original 80" under normal riding. Cruising at 90+ on German autobahns is another matter!

John of Mia Cycles can build you a 140 or thereabouts, to go in a stock frame.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:59 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I reccomend the 120 or their "Bagger" engine. Both work well in touring scenarios. I would also reccomend their 6 speer and a 31 tooth tranny sprocket to go with it, this is a great touring package. Hope this helps. Remember "there is no replacement for displacement!!"

Old 03-12-2012, 07:49 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 289 Likes on 155 Posts

That 124 bagger motor sure looks like a nice option.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:09 AM
blakeforslund
Intermediate

miacycles, i'm taking you advice and going 120 i guess. I currently have the ultima 6 speed in and changed the engine sprocket from a 25 to a 23. Will this work without a problem on my supertrapp 2:1? Any other things to look out for during installation? Do i want VOES? should i keep the stock ultima ignition or change to my dyna2000i that is currently in my 80in evo?
Anything else i'm overlooking?

Old 03-12-2012, 04:28 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Keep the stock ignition untill it's broken in then PM me and we can tell you what to do with the Dyna. Do use the VOES as with todays fuel it will help with detonation. Supertrapp will work but you will need to add probably 10 disks to start. Go back to the stock engine sprocket as a smaller sprocket makes the engine turn over slower and harder as you lose mechanical advantage.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:44 PM
blakeforslund
Intermediate

So a little clarification, once broken in then run VOES with the dyna ignition right?
How many disc should I have in the supertrapp with open end cap and how many with closed cap? (Should help others on the internet)?
On the engine sprocket switch it will make it harder on the starter correct? I assume that is what you are meaning? What is the best way to get the proper gearing and not affect speedometer?

Old 03-12-2012, 05:27 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Run the VOES with both. At least 25 disks with the open end , probably 30 with the closed as I am guessing your supertrapp is for the smaller engine?? Set the idle at 1,000 RPM's.

Quick Reply: Ultima engine for touring bike?