EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 12:37 AM
fogcity123
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight

So I was changing the headlight on my '93 FXR from the original chrome one to a new black one. Before I tightened it all down I twisted the wires from the light to the lead and no light: the damn thing doesn't work. So, I decided to screw it and put back on the original, testing it first, and that doesn't work now!

The original had the ends of the wires (from light to wire harness) sottered. Is it possible that just wrapping the bare wires around each other isn't giving it enough of a connection? Is there a fuse to check? Any help would be appreciated, other then telling me I should have left well enough alone - that I know.

Many thanks.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Twisted wires?! They could easily come apart while assembling the light. Certainly I wouldn't trust them. You can get crimp connectors for a few bucks, including a crimping tool, from most auto parts stores, both bullets and flat spades. They will give you proper connectors you can easily pull apart when needed.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:48 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I always solder the wires even if I'm using connectors I solder the wires to the connectors and shrink wrap the ends.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:24 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
I always solder the wires even if I'm using connectors I solder the wires to the connectors and shrink wrap the ends.
This is your best option for a bike as it keeps out the water.

Your twisted wires my have come apart or partially unconnected or grounded out on something and could be your problem.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:29 PM
fogcity123
Cruiser

I try a solder - could that be it? Not enough of a connection by just twisting them together? Is there a way to test the wires leading from the harness before I solder? Electrical isn't my thing so a detailed explanation (for a test) would be much appreciated.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:06 PM
fogcity123
Cruiser

Okay, I have one of those tools that you touch to wires and see if the little light comes on (with the roach clip that I assumed gets grounded). One of the leads lights the tool, the other one doesn't. What's this mean?

Old 03-11-2012, 01:56 PM
nyokie
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like you have power going to the light, make sure you have the wires tied to the proper wires on the light. 1 wire is prob low beam, 1 high beam, and 1 ground wirehave someone hold the light cloe to wires and touch them together with switch on and see which wires do what. get them right and then solder and shrink wrap at least crimp connect and shrink wrap

Old 03-11-2012, 02:11 PM
fogcity123
Cruiser

Got it.
But there's only two wires. And again, only one of them had power. I'll try crimping and seeing if it works ( the new light had 3 wires, the original that I'm going to just put back on had two).

Old 03-11-2012, 02:23 PM
fogcity123
Cruiser

I think I got it! With the new light (three wires) I got it to work. Now, where do I attach the ground wire coming off the light? To test it I had it on the jugs but where can I fasten it permanately?

Old 03-11-2012, 05:36 PM
nyokie
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ya 1 of those 3 needs to goto ground, it can go to any screw that is into metal but preferebly to heavy metal like the frame. sounds like the factory light was chassis ground with no wire? if so the headlight bucket is grounded and you can ground that wire inside the bucket on a screw. think of power as a loop, it has to leave the + side of the battery and go through a component and make it back to the - side of the battery.

Quick Reply: Headlight