EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Got a S&S 100" for my FXRP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 11:18 AM
steffridesabuell
Advanced
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Got a S&S 100" for my FXRP!

I just finished installing an S&S 100" V2 motor in my 1990 FXRP.
It's a "square" 4x4 motor, low compression, 520 cam, "E" carb. It's slightly shorter than the stock motor. Installation was a breeze; all we had to add was a 1/8" spacer under the top motor mount. My 2/1 Supertrapp fit perfectly, though we added a bunch more discs and an open end cap to make the big motor happy.
Even though this motor does not have compression releases, the stock-sized Drag Specialties battery and 1.4kw starter had no problem starting it at 30 degrees (fahrenheit!). The stock clutch (still the original plates with 100,000 miles on them) is having no problem handling the bigger engine. Of course I've only run it up to 3000 RPM so far; being as good as possible about following the break-in procedure.
This motor pulls like a well-mannered locomotive. Passing traffic on hills is now as much fun as it would be on my Buell. Just twist the throttle a bit and you're gone! I can't wait to get through the break-in and have some real fun with this thing.

Attached Thumbnails Got a S&S 100" for my FXRP!-fxrp-s_s-motor-340.jpg   Got a S&S 100" for my FXRP!-ssmotor01_280.jpg   Got a S&S 100" for my FXRP!-ss-motor-002_280.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
s-glide76 (09-27-2023)
Old 03-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice. Those shorter stroke/big bore motors haul ***.
Nice work.
I am having an S&S 106 kit installed. How exactly are you breaking yours in. There are a couple schools of thought on it.
Opinions

Old 03-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! Just finished my s&s 96" build, and im lovin the piwer too! As far as breaking in im going per s&s instruction. Its easy to start a heated argument on the subject because the wildly different procedures, but my opinion is that s&s has been building these parts for 50 years and they are the ones who will waranty your $6000 motor so ill go with their rules.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:09 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Another S&S owner here, a V107T in my 1990 FLHS, also with SuperTrapp 2-into-1. I have the stock original clutch plates, plus a Barnett heavy duty clutch spring.

Don't baby the thing, just run it in as Frankenbagger says. Mine came with S&S ignition, which prevents over-revving during the first 24 hours of riding time IIRC. In other words you can't mess it up!

Old 03-08-2012, 06:31 PM
polish hammer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey grbrown i bought the v111" just an update cant wait to hear it run!

Old 03-09-2012, 03:52 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by polish hammer
hey grbrown i bought the v111" just an update cant wait to hear it run!
That's the 'new' 107. I wasn't too happy with mine when it was new, but it is really great now. My SuperMeg exhaust improved it a lot, if you are wondering what to fit to yours.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:26 AM
polish hammer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why weren't you happy with it?

Old 03-09-2012, 07:34 AM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
That's the 'new' 107. I wasn't too happy with mine when it was new
Originally Posted by grbrown
Mine came with S&S ignition, which prevents over-revving during the first 24 hours of riding time
Maybe thats why he wasnt happy?! I know thats my only complaint about my motor so far, i want to let her rip!!

Old 03-09-2012, 10:46 AM
steffridesabuell
Advanced

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Nice. Those shorter stroke/big bore motors haul ***.
Nice work.
I am having an S&S 106 kit installed. How exactly are you breaking yours in. There are a couple schools of thought on it.
Opinions
I'm trying very hard to follow the S&S break-in instructions. I used a Dyna ignition so all the control is via right hand. It was sheer torture getting past the first 50 miles (max2500 RPM) but now that we're up to 3000 RPM it's a lot easier. My FXRP has really tall gearing so I can do 70mph in 5th gear without "violating my parole." I'm trying to follow S&S recommendations 'cause I figure if anything ever breaks I'll know it wasn't anything I did!

Old 09-26-2023, 12:57 PM
steffridesabuell
Advanced
Default Update to the 100" S&S

This is way overdue...
When I bought the 100" S&S motor it came with an "E" carb that was allegedly jetted for the 100" motor.
Like an idiot, I never opened up the carb to see what jets were actually in it. The motor felt good (definitely stronger than the old 80") so I figured everything was right.
Note that the motor was using synthetic 20W50 as specified by S&S.
After about 10,000 miles, I did a Saddlesore 1000 (1000 miles in 24 hours.) My FXRP was running almost non-stop on the Interstate the whole time; I only took gas/bathroom breaks of about 20 minutes for most of the trip.
It wasn't a terribly hot day, temps from the low 50's to the low 80's. No problems on the whole ride.
But the next day, I tried to start the bike and there was a horrible "CLANK" and everything stopped moving.
Turns out that the carb actually had the jets recommended for a stock 883 and that poor motor pretty much just burned up. Had to have the whole top end rebuilt, and definitely got the right jetting this time.
Note that I work for an independent shop, and since my "incident" we have seen several S&S motors with the jetting as provided by S&S that have suffered failures due to excessively lean jetting.

Quick Reply: Got a S&S 100" for my FXRP!