EVO All Evo Model Discussion

84 FLH Hard bags on my 87 FXRS

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012 | 11:07 PM
elev8rguy
|
Advanced
Default 84 FLH Hard bags on my 87 FXRS

Hey fellas, just wanted to share this project with all you FXR guys out there. I was originally going to install some saddle bags, but came across these hard bags for 200 bucks. I figured, I can make em' work for that price. So ended up with a set of Edge brackets that were for a metric and machined a couple standoffs for the rear strut holes. The width of the front and rear are different on these struts, therefore the standoffs.

I think the fact that these older bags being narrower than the newer ones help with them sticking out too far. I had to go outside the shocks. I didn't want to cut and glass them.

They're primed and ready for base and clear right now, but I would like to hear what kind of input you all have at this point. Let me know what you think! I'll post some more pics when I complete shooting them.

Thanks for Looking!!!

Attached Thumbnails 84 FLH Hard bags on my 87 FXRS-fxrs-bags-mounted-006.jpg   84 FLH Hard bags on my 87 FXRS-fxrs-bags-mounted-007.jpg   84 FLH Hard bags on my 87 FXRS-primed-049.jpg   84 FLH Hard bags on my 87 FXRS-primed-054.jpg   84 FLH Hard bags on my 87 FXRS-primed-059.jpg  

Old 02-28-2012 | 03:38 AM
woodnbow
Tourer

Nice work! I've considered going that route myself. Looking good!

Old 02-28-2012 | 06:32 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Talking

Well done. I had a set on my old FX many years ago, although they were a straight bolt on. Looking good. They should, of course, be 'birch white' (see pic below!)

Old 02-28-2012 | 07:06 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

Just a note: In my experience, the lids don't stay on. You need to at very least drill a hole in the front "tab" thing and put a pin of some type in it. The catch mechanism/lock is worthless. You can remove the lid when they are locked by just pushing down on the lid and shifting it over. You would be better off if you put the pin in the front and change the lock mechanism to the modern Presto luggage type or something else.

Old 02-28-2012 | 11:23 AM
pigbike
Advanced

Yup the DR. is right. I have seen too many of them that have come off and slid down the street. It's not pretty!

Old 02-28-2012 | 11:19 PM
elev8rguy
|
Advanced

Thanks Woodnbow and grbrown. Although birch white would be nice, I was actually thinking of shooting them, the side covers and my lower bug kisser candy brandywine like the tank, but it would be really hard to match the 3 stage paint. So they'll be vivid black with House of Kolors (kandy brandywine) stripes to match the Arlen Ness side covers.. It was the closest I could find. We'll see how it turns out. I wet sanded with 400 paper tonight and they turned out pretty good. I'm gonna have to crank up the heater in the garage this weekend to shoot it because it's still freaking cold here in central Washington. I need at least 65* for an even paint flow.

Dr.hess and pigbike, I've already remedied the lock situation. I noticed they were pretty shitty like you both mentioned so I removed the black foam rubber and installed some more dense rubber to prevent the sloppiness and installed a couple of locks I use on my Otis elevators. These are Chicago Locks, I notched the blade 3/16 for a positive latch. It would really suck seeing those lids sliding along the pavement after all this work. LOL!

Gonna be pretty busy till the weekend so I'll post some pics after I shoot them.

Thanks again guys!!

Old 02-29-2012 | 09:21 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally these bags came with a support/brace that ran between the bags at the bottom and very near the rear of the bags ... I have a set on my 79 FXEF and, without the support, I encountered a lot of shaking and flexing of the bags ... just my.02 cents worth!
I think the bags will look sweet on your scooter!

Old 02-29-2012 | 10:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Originally these bags came with a support/brace that ran between the bags at the bottom and very near the rear of the bags ...
Quite right! As mine were on an FX, which had the same frame as a Glide, mine came with one of those. It would be a good idea to rig one up elev8rguy, although you will probably have to scratch make one to fit your setup.

Old 02-29-2012 | 10:50 AM
elev8rguy
|
Advanced

10/4 to that fellas! I had my kid follow me as I cruised along and that was a concern. Yes uncle larry, I have those supports but wasn't able to use them because they would really stick out. I was thinking of making a wrap around bracket behind the tire, but that would look kinda cheesy I think.

What do you guys think about this idea? I was contemplating on using 1/2 inch stainless rod and flatten the end, drill a hole for mounting on the rear peg, then snapping it into place in the bottom holding clips? I think it should be enough support to keep them from shaking too much. Ideas???

Let me know what you guys think? Thanks again for the tips!

Old 02-29-2012 | 11:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member

On my FX that stay was curved in the centre to go around the rear of the tyre, roughly in line with the end of the fender. The best way I can think of representing it is: -ᴖ-

Quick Reply: 84 FLH Hard bags on my 87 FXRS