FXD_One
Cruiser

Wow, great work they look awesome!

Old 03-25-2012 | 07:43 PM
Kiyoshi
Intermediate
Default T bags look nice

The addition of the bags look great.

I do have a support carriage under my bags and a "U" shapped clamp to keep it snug. Works great. A lot of good advise on this thread and I will add a redundant means to keep the lid on just in case it gets loose.

I am thinking about adding running/brake/turn signal chrome light to the bag for the additional visibility and am just looking for the custom chrome classic look. Nothing to distract from the original look of the bike though.

Old 03-29-2012 | 12:37 AM
elev8rguy
|
Advanced

Hey tjansen, just an FXR frame and thanks FXD_One. Kiyoshi, I don't have a long fender to utilize the U shape bracket that came with them to snug them up, so this will have to do. My lady's backrest rattles more than the bags do and that's why I'm not too worried about it. Next is some tunes which should be arriving tomorrow. Kuryakyn Sound of Chrome! I usually enjoy just the EVO and the wind, but it's nice to have the option. We'll see how loud I can get cruising down the road. LOL! I have pretty cool neighbors!

Old 03-29-2012 | 07:36 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

The U bracket connects to each support bracket and is parallel to the ground that goes either around or under the end of the fender (I can not remember). I bought my bags new for a 1985 FXST project in late 1984. I have kept these bags in storage. I built my FXR and needed hard bags for waterproof traveling. I also needed the bags higher off the ground for lean angle. I modified the mounting brackets and built side supports by strengthening my composite fender. Side supports are needed IMO. I also added bolt on supports so I can add a large rear bag resting on my fender rack.

That rear bag weighs in at 65# and contains my camping gear. The bike handles well with the rear bag because of the relatively low center of gravity.

Old 03-29-2012 | 05:49 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Wow, outstanding job. The bike looks great. Have you thought about putting some kind of mud flap on the back of the fender so all three edges line up even? I saw a couple Dyna guys with hard bags do that and it really looked sharp.

Old 03-29-2012 | 08:09 PM
elev8rguy
|
Advanced

Hey there FastHarley, that looks freakin' awesome dude! I have a steel fender and I wanted to be able to take them off to keep the cruiser look whenever shooting around town. The only give away are the standoffs at this point. I like the way you kept the same curve on your brackets as the fender rack. NICE!

Hey bikerlaw, I haven't seen the extended rear fender (mud flap) anywhere before. Do you think it'll be sturdy enough to put an U bracket like FastHarley is talking about. That would definitely work as a stablizer for the bottom. Gonna have to google that for sure! Thanks.

Old 10-08-2012 | 02:09 PM
osscody
6th Gear

looks sweet! i just purchaced a 86 lowrider and i too am going to put hard bags on it. got the bags, mine r the older type, so i guess ill do the pin through the front latch thing till i can figure out a hidden latch system. QUESTION; i am wondering if anyone knows of a company who makes brackets that dont sit so high and far back???? and what year electra/RG/RK if any, will fit between my fender rails????? just ordered a 92 fender so hopfully it will fit??????????

Old 10-08-2012 | 03:30 PM
1984_FXRT
Road Captain

Originally Posted by grbrown
On my FX that stay was curved in the centre to go around the rear of the tyre, roughly in line with the end of the fender. The best way I can think of representing it is: -ᴖ-
My FXRT has that brace - it bolts to the rear fender.