EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Drag pipe question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,213 Likes on 5,617 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I am a drag pipe guy and hope to be till I can't ride any more. As a general rule I always buy the cheapest set you can possibly get on ebay. I always install torque cones as well. I am about to buy another set. Are the more expensive pipes actually any better? Are the Paughco or Cycle Shack drag pipes any different than whatever the hell I get on ebay? Chrome better? Fit better? Resist bluing longer? I'm at a point with the bike were even though we are talking well over double or triple the cost, if the quality really is that much better, I will pull the trigger. If its really all the same $hit, then I'll buy the cheapies again. Please advise.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:52 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 486 Likes on 354 Posts

Thanks guys. I threw a hissy fit and just bought the cheap a$$ 59 dollar shipped to your door 1.75 chrome Chinese drag pipes. As soon at the refund came threw I ordered them. I have resigned myself to do the lollipops. I will just write the cones off as a loss and make a set of lollipops out of some cheap Lowe's hardware. Just one question. Can anyone give me an EXACT distance up the rear of the pipe the lollipops go? Remember, these are slash cut pipes, so from the front of the slash, they go in how far? No guessing now, I need a number I can use to help me drill the hole and install the lollipops while the pipes are in my hand sitting on the bench.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 02-21-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:34 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,213 Likes on 5,617 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I need a number I can use to help me drill the hole and install the lollipops while the pipes are in my hand sitting on the bench.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 02-22-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:59 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Most drag pipes come with a pre-drilled hole for a baffle, you can use that and then rust shouldn't be a problem. One note on the "cones", if you think about it people pay good money to have their heads ported to flow more air. Does it make sense to restrict it right at the port??? Lollipops. baffles. bolts and washers are a "tuning aid" for your pipes. If you spent the time, money, and effort you could build a pipe that wouldn't need any of these. However it may not fit practically on your bike. Also pipes perform best in a certain RPM range, above or below that it is a compromise. That is why we use these devices, we want to move the power band into a range that we normally use. Hope this helps.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:53 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Well, I just got notice the drag pipes shipped today. All the other parts should be here by the time they arrive. I assume with the smaller pipes, and the lollipops, i should be all set. Once i get them on I'll post up a report on the results as compared to the two inch drags with the cones.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Kushman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey bikerlaw,
I have tried to upload an image (not sure if it worked) of the "baffle ring" I am uncertain if it is the same as the lolipop trick (not sure what that is) it appears to be a slight reduction in size of the pipe with a round bar wealded to the center. You can find an example in the JP Harely Catalog (online) on the top right of page 228 for the Sampson Exhauts. It looks pretty easy to make one up.

Attached Thumbnails Drag pipe question?-baffle-ring.jpg  
Old 02-22-2012, 03:17 PM
dub976
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lollipop trick: got this from the above link. works great sounds even better.

how to:

Make a tunable baffle by purchasing a 1/4"x1" thumb screw or taking a 3/4" outside diameter washer and weld it to the top of a 3/4" x 1/4" bolt. Now Drill a 1/4" hole about 1" from the end of the drag pipes. Take the tunable baffle and place a 1/4" nut and a lock washer (away from the large washer) the on it. Now insert your tunable baffle into the exhaust pipe like the example below.
Visitors to the Bike Tech WEB site constantly provide improvements to this idea. If you don't have access to welding equipment, try this handy little trick sent to me by Nick
What I used was 1/4" x 1" thumb screws which can readily purchased at any local hardware store for about $ 0.50 a piece. They work great. The "football" shaped head on the screws measure approximately 3/4" x 1/2" so they have about the same surface area as the 3/4" o.d. washer because of the lack of the hole. And they do not require any fabrication.

It is amazing what a little creative thinking can come up with.

You can tune the baffle by changing the angle of the thumbscrew or washer to the exhaust pipe. For maximum torque, the washer will be at 90 degree angle to the pipe. For maximum horsepower the washer will be parallel to the pipe.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:24 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Well, I stopped at Loewe's and picked up the eye bolts, nuts and washers. We will see when the pipes show up. I have run lollipops before. On this bike in fact, but if I am going to violate all my rules and run them again I want all the input I can get from you guys. Clearly I am on the low end of the experience spectrum with these. Hopefully this time around I have them where they belong, set up right and working well. I am almost tempted to try them on my scratched up 2 inchers just so I don't have to wait a week for the new pipes to show up. I'll see how much time I ave after work tomorrow. Now you guys got me all wondering...... and stuff.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:31 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 437 Likes on 247 Posts

I can send you a brand new, in the box, set of 1 3/4" cycle shack drags, straight cut ends, for $100 shipped. Let me know if you want them.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:16 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by pjb
I can send you a brand new, in the box, set of 1 3/4" cycle shack drags, straight cut ends, for $100 shipped. Let me know if you want them.
Oh, for the love of God...... I'm always a day late and a dollar short. These are bought, paid for, shipped and on the way as of this morning.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270916691681...84.m1439.l2649

Why do I always find what I want after I buy something I don't.

Quick Reply: Drag pipe question?