EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Dunlop D404, on a softtail?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:01 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

When suspended on ropes, both Dunlop tires make pretty nice kiddie swings.

METZLER 880

Old 02-18-2012, 10:06 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Ghost
That's the other thing I wanted to know, I have no problem putting in a spacer for the 140/90, just wanted to know before hand, I realize you can only space out the rear pulley so far before you have to move the trany or space the trans sprocket. If it's only 1/8 or so, that should not be a big problem with alignment.
My belt rides in the center of the rear pulley. She has a slight pull to the left but I took her by the dealership to check it out they said she was fine.
Like I said before this might not be because of the tire/spacer. The previous owner of the bike was caught in a sandwich and rebuilt the bike (by a dealership). I'm not positive they got it right. I think the rim might be a little off.

When you put your 140 on yours I would try it without the spacer first (you may not need it) and if you don't mind let me know how it worked out.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:10 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
I had a 404 on my 99 Softail Custom, and it only lasted about 6,000 miles. I have 402's on the front and rear now with about 8,000 miles on them, and they look like they will go at least another 8,000. The 404 is only rated for lighter bikes.
I could only get about 8k rear and 12k front from mine. (When I ran them)
What is your secret?

Old 02-19-2012, 07:30 AM
Silver Ghost
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So now that I know that 130 is the proper size, and 140 will fit with a spacer, I have a lot more tire options to choose from, I'm going to stay away from the 404's I can get some Continental CM1's or Metzeler's at a good price($133), and still way cheaper than the 402's.(180+tax)
I know I'm only going to get a year out of my tires, I'm just tired if paying over 200 bucks for a so,so tire that has Harley Davidson on the sidewall.
Thanks for the help guy's.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:45 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

I would worry less about the cost and more about the traction what ever tire gives you.

Tires cost less than a trip to the doctor.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Silver Ghost
Cruiser

It's not the money, but the tire, the 402's are very slippery for $200, I can't see a Metz or Cont being any worse. they may even be better, If the 402's were any good, I would gladly pay the price, I just don't think there a good value, seems like I'm paying for the Harley logo.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't know Texashillcountry; Maybe because I am 71 years old and don't ride very hard. LOL.

When I had my old Iron Head Sportster, I put on a set of Continental's, and they road way better than the Dunlops that I had been using. They stuck like glue and had very soft rubber. I loved them, but they wore out very quick. Dunlops are harder rubber, maybe do not stick as well, but do seem to last very well for me.

I do have a friend with a late model Fatboy, and he is only getting about 6 to 8 thousand miles on his Dunlops, but they are a special size tire that Dunlop seems to be having a problem with. Dunlop has given him at least one new tire.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:08 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Silver Ghost
It's not the money, but the tire, the 402's are very slippery for $200, I can't see a Metz or Cont being any worse. they may even be better, If the 402's were any good, I would gladly pay the price, I just don't think there a good value, seems like I'm paying for the Harley logo.
I would have to agree with you. I have heard some good things about both those brands.

You have to remember what HD stands for---hundred dollars. It seems to me that as soon as they but their logo on something the price goes up by about that much.

Good luck on your tire hunt.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:33 AM
TNB
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
I do have a friend with a late model Fatboy, and he is only getting about 6 to 8 thousand miles on his Dunlops, but they are a special size tire that Dunlop seems to be having a problem with. Dunlop has given him at least one new tire.
I just had mine replaced yesterday with around 7600 miles. The rear was right at spec. I could have got more out of the front, but I'd rather replace both at the same time. I still used the same model stock Dunlops as replacements. Prior to replacement, I also checked Dunlops website and the model tires were still the recommended tire though Dunlop has another model set that will fit.

Regarding any tire issues, I spoke to the dealer about that after reading about it on the fourms a while back. They told me it was more of a mounting issue that was supposedly resolved. The tires were then cupping messing up the ride and causing a wobble. Sometimes it helps to verify tread direction.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Tungue2death
Novice
Default Have you found any info?

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I'm not sure if the differance between the 130 and the 140 is worth the change but I know that I had to add a 1/8 in. spacer to my axel (don't know if the rim is bent or it is because of the tire width)
because 1/2 of the tire was rubbing on the lower belt guard.
Hi, I just got a 95 FXSTC & it's got a new 140MT 90 x 16 on it. It rubs the same & so does the belt after I properly aligned it. I've searched & searched but haven't seen a solution that made sense. Let me know of anything that works, anybody?

Quick Reply: Dunlop D404, on a softtail?