EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Bertha has a small problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:33 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Get an inner race and seal(the part that goes through the tranny seal) for a chain drive 5 speed. They are thicker and can be machined back down if needed to get the thickness you need. You probably just need to put a .060" shim behind the rear pulley to space it out and clear the wider tire. We do this all the time with no problems yet. Hope this helps.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:32 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

OK chaps, let's stand back and work through this! The front pulley is much wider than the rear and a thin spacer behind the rear pulley will do what traildog wants with no problems. The rear pulley will realign the belt on the front pulley. I have been doing this for many years.

traildog, you can get a suitable spacer from Vulcan. They cost little more than pennies, so don't bother trying to make one! Get the thinnest, which is 1/8", bearing in mind that the pulley will be that much closer to your swingarm.

If you shine a torch along the belt towards the trans, you will be able to see how much front pulley there is outboard of the belt.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:04 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
OK chaps, let's stand back and work through this! The front pulley is much wider than the rear and a thin spacer behind the rear pulley will do what traildog wants with no problems. The rear pulley will realign the belt on the front pulley. I have been doing this for many years.

traildog, you can get a suitable spacer from Vulcan. They cost little more than pennies, so don't bother trying to make one! Get the thinnest, which is 1/8", bearing in mind that the pulley will be that much closer to your swingarm.

If you shine a torch along the belt towards the trans, you will be able to see how much front pulley there is outboard of the belt.
There are the rear pulley spacers I was telling you about, Scott. The 1/8" one should be plenty. The belt will self-adjust on the tranny pulley. There should be plenty of room in the swing arm for the rear pulley to run with the 1/8" spacer.

You've probably noticed by now that I removed the lower belt guard from Bertha long ago... and tossed it.

Last edited by NorthGeorgiaHawg; 02-14-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:32 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

If you take a .060" disc brake spacer and drill the holes out it will work as well with a little less offset.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:28 PM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 359 Posts

Alrighty then. A spacer it is.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:29 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

/\This is the correct answer. I don't have a clue as what the rest of you guys were talking about. Talk about giving out bad info. Geez, If you don't know what the hell you are talking about keep your trap SHUT.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:53 PM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks for the link! I'm gonna do some measuring and decide which thickness.

I shined my torch (I like that "torch") and there must be about 1/2" to play with.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Rob85WG
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

"Geez, If you don't know what the hell you are talking about keep your trap SHUT."

If we did that we'd never talk at all. But we appreciate when somebody finally sets us all straight.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:35 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Traildog, I apologize about my first post. I got reading along and lost track of the OP question. That's why I posted the second time. I hope I didn't confuse you.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:39 PM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Gotter done!

Got the spacer installed! Nice clearance now! What a PIA though.

A friend from my church just happened stop by. I was getting ready to take the tire back off and replace it with the correct width!

He helped me to get it back in the frame and the spacer did the trick!

Now I need to find some tire "paint" because, unfortunately, the belt rubbed the whitewall down the the "black".

Last edited by traildog; 02-18-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Bertha has a small problem