EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Need help on 1990 fltcu tour glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 09:10 PM
friend.b
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help on 1990 fltcu tour glide

Just bought the bike in the fall of 2011. I am in the proces of rebuilding the jugs, and heads. but my problem isn't that I am going through the electical wirring , and finding problems with cb radio, and the cruse control. My question is can the cb radio be removed, and the cruse conrtol repaired? also considering removing the rear trunk and trunk mount any suggestions would be appreciated. I like the look of the newer bikes, with the hard saddle bags. is there apractical way to do this? thanks!!!!

Old 02-04-2012, 11:08 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

for most of the electrical problems, try pulling apart the connectors, cleaning the pins and putting back in.

tour pak; unbolt from mounting bracket, remove mounting bracket.

you'll have to sort out some wiring and a new plate mount- no big deal.

mike

Old 02-05-2012, 05:16 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. Your tourpak is held on with 4 bolts, so is easy to remove, except for the wiring. I added a tourpak to my FLHS and used a qd multi-pin connector, with one half set in the floor of the tourpak. It requires a simple twist to disconnect.

On these older bikes the electrics can start to suffer problems through age, like corrosion in the electrical connectors, as Mike has already pointed out, also ground points. You can disable both CB and cruise, or carefully go through the wiring for them and clean as you go. Use a dialectric grease to protect connections as you work through them.

I have also had problems in the past from connectors becoming loose, rather than corroded, so also check they are good and tight.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:05 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,046 Likes on 1,858 Posts

I removed the cruise and original radio, cb and dash controls, replaced clutch and brake switch brackets with standard clamps.

Ended up with about a 20lb box of modules and wires and junk.

Replaced switch housings and added the throttle friction thumbscrew.

I used the old wiring sheaths and wires to make factory looking harnesses for the new radio, speakers, and added power relay (to get full voltage to fairing gauges and accessories).

Attached Thumbnails Need help on 1990 fltcu tour glide-img_0429-copy.jpg  
Old 02-05-2012, 10:14 PM
FXD_One
Cruiser

I'd like to add once you have cleaned each connector, pick up a can of diaelectric grease. A little goes a long way in a connector so be careful not to put too much. But it will keep them from getting corroded and allowing moisture to infiltrate them.

Gordo

Old 02-06-2012, 08:39 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Schex3x
I removed the cruise and original radio, cb and dash controls, replaced clutch and brake switch brackets with standard clamps.
I removed the CB and cruise on mine. Easily done. I think the hardest part was finding a suitable dash panel to fit in the space formerly occupied by the CB controls.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 AM
trigger1911
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

I used a license plate holder/grab rail avilable from either Custom Chrome or Drag Specialties for $80. It looks like the ones used on the Road King. Looks great. as for the CB, just remove it and disconnect it, then go to a Harley dealer and they make a dash cover that replaces the cb. its about 20 bux.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:22 PM
friend.b
6th Gear

Thanks for all of your help. Trying to sort everything out. Been a challange up to now, the wirring is a mess. Is the Road King fram the same? Sorry probably a stupid New Guy Question.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:36 PM
friend.b
6th Gear

Originally Posted by trigger1911
I used a license plate holder/grab rail avilable from either Custom Chrome or Drag Specialties for $80. It looks like the ones used on the Road King. Looks great. as for the CB, just remove it and disconnect it, then go to a Harley dealer and they make a dash cover that replaces the cb. its about 20 bux.

I Searched for the plate/ mount, on both sites you suggested, but could not find the plate mount. I would like to keep the 2 person seat on there now , and possibly replace the tour pack with a sissy bar /luggage rack. and passenger back rest pad. if you have a link to the proper parts I would appreciate it. Thanks!!!!!

Last edited by friend.b; 02-09-2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 04-28-2012, 09:35 PM
veejay
2nd Gear

Do any of you guys still have the old console parts? A friend is trying to fix his 1990 ultra classic, and would be interested in the circuit board on the console.

Quick Reply: Need help on 1990 fltcu tour glide