EVO All Evo Model Discussion

what kind of numbers......

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 08:51 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RaSh
After thinking about this all night I concede, I'm sticking to my original plan. It ran fine last season, another season to get more familiar while gathering parts is probably the best approach. Thanks for the input.

Hatch, Bagger if you are willing to share, how much have you done to your bikes? Any negatives? Any handling improvements? Pulley changes?
Thanks.

irydasteelhorse, just so I don't totally steal your post, I dug up a comment made by Scott at Hillside that essentially restate's what my indy advised.

straightforward approach to increasing the output of that Evo is this;
Either re-ring, or bore to next oversize.
Valve job, along with removal of .065" from cylinder head gasket surface.
Install either a Wood 6, or an Andrews 27.
75 hp, 85 ft/lbs within easy reach.
Must've done 80-100 of these combinations, in our almost 30 years in business.
Scott

I was told 10:1 pistons, but with gas quality the way it is and will no doubt continue to deteriorate, I'm opting for less compression, and the above advice is said to yield about a 9.6:1 compression ratio.
However one other piece of advice given to me was that since I have a 1989 bike I have the older style carb, and I was also advised to go to the newer CV style. I suspect that I will also do some work on that piece to better match it up to it's intended use. But following my schedule I have "a ways to go" before getting there.
Every winter my bike comes off the road. 1st year was a new rear pully, new belt, new swing arm bushings, brakes all around & new clutches. Second year was new carb, top end, EV 13 cam & any internal part that was showing signs of wear. 3 rd year was the tranny. It looked good but new bearings bushings & gaskets. This year is mini apes & a new rear tire. Michelin commander 2 which is rated for 30,000 miles or better.
I cant ride in the winter but I cant just let it sit there so I use the off season to keep the ol' iron bitch in top form. I will never sell this bike!
Hatch.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:11 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,785 Likes on 890 Posts

Hatch, Bagger if you are willing to share, how much have you done to your bikes? Any negatives? Any handling improvements? Pulley changes?
Thanks.

Engine is internal S&S parts (4 5/8 flywheel) John Sachs reworked stock heads set up at 9.8-1, Woods W6H cam, 2-1 Propipe. 2 tooth drop on drive pulley, primary gears lowered and a Baker 6 speed, Progressive 440 shocks, 150 rear tire (or tyre across the big pond) painted it with PPG pearl, lowered the front fender, have basically disassembled every inch of the bike.

The Progressive shocks were a big improvement on stability but installed a 1" lower style and presented some shock travel problems when fully loaded, the 150 is alot of work to stuff in there, dropping the primary gearing only is a positive, my gearing isn't for everyone but when the the light bikes start to play, the white bike doesn't have to stay on the porch and have fun with the new $24,000 big cube big bikes that I sometimes ride with but will say the 3.34 gearing is perfect for bigger bikes which is primary change only.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:25 PM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,524 Likes on 5,850 Posts

Thanks for the help and advice everyone, I appreciate it.

It appears that the "magic" post count number is 10, because it looks like I can now send PM's. I'd like to take advantage of the willingness of several members to help and send them A summary of where I am with respect to my bike, and my upgrade plans/time-line to ask for a reality check, and of course to slap me back into line if what I intend just doesn't make sense. If my PM is unwelcome and a nuisance then just ignore it but the possibility of getting a review by experienced folks is just too hard to resist.

I will be trying to get my thoughts down on paper during the next few days, and will send out a request to critique my plans soon after.
Thanks again.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:00 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Generally a good crew here & I doubt you will get any attitude in the Evo section. No one gona dis ya dude!
Hatch.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:29 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RaSh
Thanks for the help and advice everyone, I appreciate it. I can now send PM's.
No need to PM about this kind of stuff. Post it here for all to see and chime in on.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:57 PM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,524 Likes on 5,850 Posts
Default To quit jacking the thread

For those that are still with me I started a new thread REVIVING A 1989 FLHS to stop Jacking this thread.

My apologies again irydasteelhorse.