EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ignition Module Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 11:36 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ccahdvm
when my module went south, my mechanic replaced it with a crane cam ignition - I'm pretty sure it's a dual fire - they claimed (and I trust my mechanic to work on MY bike for MY type of riding) that single fire/dual fire won't make much difference unless on a racing/performance type application. I like the idea of everything in one little package - it bypasses the voltage regulator under the seat, which I removed completely.
The piece under the seat was your ignition module. The stock ignition only has a pickup in the nose cone.
As far as aftermarket ignitions, I've never seen a properly set up one hurt performance. I have sen them improve performance over a stock module. A plus is as the gas gets worse you can do some adjusting to compensate. Just my two cents worth.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:12 PM
jimjam31
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I put a stock one back on it just to be safe and got it fired up this weekend. I need to adjust the timing a little more but for the most part it's runnin like a song. Thanks for the input fellas and I hope to aquire some more helpful advice later on down the road from y'all and hope that maybe I'll be able to help you as well.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:31 AM
ccahdvm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by miacycles
The piece under the seat was your ignition module. The stock ignition only has a pickup in the nose cone.
As far as aftermarket ignitions, I've never seen a properly set up one hurt performance. I have sen them improve performance over a stock module. A plus is as the gas gets worse you can do some adjusting to compensate. Just my two cents worth.
Well, obviously I'm no mechanic! So when my PICKUP in the nose cone melted, they replaced it with a crane cam ignition in the cone, which bypassed the IGNITION MODULE under seat, which I removed completely. Thanks for the correction miacycles.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

And, BTW, firing on just one cylinder is not going to be the ignition module.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:24 PM
FXD_One
Cruiser

Originally Posted by pjb
aftermarket is tuneable, factory is not.
dual fire, fires both plugs everytime. once when needed, once when not.
Originally Posted by Spanners39
It is a myth that dual fire is inefficient, the system is designed to give adequate spark at both plugs and spark size has very little to do with power output unless the spark is so compromised that it can't ignite the gas, gas explodes once lit, you just need enough spark to light it.

I have fitted single fire systems for people and couldn't tell the difference...now a tuneable module...that IS a good thing :-)
Originally Posted by Moog Player
The firing voltage in a dual fire system is actually higher than in single fire system. The second sparkplug gap that has to be jumped to make the circuit forces the coil to saturate more deeply and that and the extra distance makes the voltage higher to the plugs.
Shittin' Chicken modules increase the rev limit and some have different curves. Aftermarket ones are more adjustable and more apt to be misadjusted.
Thank's for the clarification guys, I get it now.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

The module on my 84 sportster went intermittant on me where it would sometimes start, and sometimes would not. I bought a points coil, a breaker plate with a flyweight advance, and changed it out to points ignition. I thought it ran better than it ever did, and even though I carried an extra set of points and condenser, I never needed them. It had about 20,000 miles on that setup when I sold it. I know the electronic is probably better, but sometimes old school just makes you smile. About the only difference I could tell was that my gas mileage dropped a little because the timing did not advance quite as far. Otherwise I liked it better, and I could fix it if I had a problem without spending $150.00.