EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Recommended Oil for EVO 1340

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 02:20 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Amsoil 20W50 Engine and Primary, 75W140 Tranny works fine in my 2000 EVO .. Am sure other oils will be fine as well .. Main thing is change them on time .. Actually Amsoil says 20W50 for all three is best but this was my call ..

Old 01-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Gerald Burgos
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the way, I DO appreciate the replies I received thus far, and while there is no definitive answer, except for Hillbilly using Mobil 1 VTwin oil in all three holes, the sky seems to be the limit.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Gerald Burgos
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bleachey
Oh yeah, and get ready for some nasty posts about "another oil thread". I agree with you that it's hard to read through some of the old ones.
Ohhhhh crap (part 2)...

I looked around and found out there are a zillion oil postings, so I apologize... call it newbie ignorance... I figured it was easier to just ask again...which is probably not the best thing to do unless you searched around. I wanted the easy way out because I got my first HD after years od Yamahas... so I freaked out when I heard 3 holes; motor, primary and tranny; wet or dry clutch; etc. Even though I have an old used '87 Electra Glide, owning a Harley somehow makes me feel more American and I am proud of that. I just want to continue to ride every day, and take my lumps for asking stupid questions... like, "What is the best carburator???"

Oh well... nothing like a GREAT first impression...

Old 01-18-2012, 05:16 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

I use cheap 80w90 in the transmission, cheap ATF in the primary....

For the engine, I'll sometimes diesel 15w40....winter only. However, I'll use a semi-synthetic 15w50 or any regular 20w50.

Synthetic...my bike doesn't like it either as it tends to make more noises.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:17 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 345 Posts

Engine = Amsoil synthetic 20w-50 mostly, sometimes Mobil 1 V-twin 20w-50.

Primary = Harley mostly, I have used ATF.

Transmission = Red Line 75w-90 mostly, at times Amsoil 75w-90.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Engine=whatever synthetic is on sale however red line makes my bike run quieter than amsoil/royal purple/mobil 1
Primary= rotella t conventional 15w-40 because it's cheap,keeps the insides very clean and I can change it when I change the oil and less wallet painful
Transmission= red line shock proof heavy. I have tried em all.Shockproof is tge best fluid you can buy for it. Using engine oil in your tranny is retarded. The oil companies make a specific product for a tranny,use it.
These guys who run engine oil in their tranny then bitch about it clunking or making funny sounds should really consider why. Royal purple also makes a 70w-90 that is top quality however now that found red line there is no point in trying anything else.
You are going to get as many opinions as there are bikers. If you use conventional the vr-1 gets great reviews and is cost effective. If you are going to run conventional change it at 3000 miles. Synth can go 5000 miles or more.
An eve doesn't run as hot as a Twinkie so it doesn't cook the oil quite as quickly however if you get conventional to hit 280-300 it's lubricating ability is finished and the additives are cooked right out of it. Synthetic will give you that extra leeway when stuck in traffic and head temps skyrocket.
I saw a virgin oil analysis on syn 3 and a used oil analysis of amsoil v-twin oil and compared them. The amsoil was run for 5000 miles and the additive package was stronger than the syn 3 was when poured out of the bottle new. And it costs as much as a real synth and syn 3 is a blend. It's a rip off for what you are getting.
In reality the key is changing it. I change my oil when it either hit 5000 or it gets super black. I have cases of amsoil/royal purple and mobil 1 so I don't care whether it's used up,I change it anyway. I change the primary when I change the oil too. There is clutch particles and condensation and crap in there so I figure just get rid of it,and since I use rotella t in there it costs me a dollar for peace of mind.
Now the shockproof made my 6 speed stop clunking going into gear,easy now to get into neutral. When I bought the bike the dumb dumb I bought it from used amsoil in all 3 holes. It shifted like crap,clunk,I thought there was something wrong. I decided to flush it out with royal purple 70w-90 and it got quite a bit better,then read some posts in this forum so I tried shockproof and that was it. Shock proof for life now.
In the end it really doesn't matter. Change the fluids often and get out and ride

Old 01-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 845 Likes on 454 Posts

The Spanner requires you to use Spectro V Twin mineral 20/50 in the motor, Spectro "Gear Guard" in the tranny (its such a pretty colour) and Spectro Primary Oil in the primary...its all I ever use....anyone who uses anything else is a Pinko Commie Wet back and guilty of Un American activities....expecially those dirtbags who use French oil in their H-Ds......they are the ones who ain't never goin' to heaven!!! :-)

Old 01-19-2012, 01:44 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Castrol 20/50 and I change it twice in the year before the end of season. If I had any other oil I would do the same thing.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:16 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Well i'm going to differ at 7o,ooo miles i'd be using straight 50 weight.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:06 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by badcooky
Well i'm going to differ at 7o,ooo miles i'd be using straight 50 weight.
I norice your in Aussie land, 50 would probably about do it there.

Quick Reply: Recommended Oil for EVO 1340