EVO All Evo Model Discussion

upgrading my primary....or open primary??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 07:45 PM
polish hammer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default upgrading my primary....or open primary??

rebuilding my 1997 heritage
im planning on buying either the 113" from ultima or smw

now moving onto the primary and need some help i wanna upgrade the primary to handle the power i plan on a barnett scorpian clutch was wondering bout chain or any bearings maybe an automatic chain tensioner? any suggestions?

Old 01-13-2012, 08:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. I have an S&S 107 in my 1990 bike and the ONLY primary upgrade necessary was a stronger clutch spring. My suggestion is to keep your hands in your pockets and don't spend out unnecessarily! I do have an M6 automatic chain tensioner, which has smoothed out gear changes, also a Diamondback clutch cable, which eased clutch operation.

If your stock clutch has plenty of life in it, simply fit a Barnett or similar spring and go!

My wife and I were in Krakow in 2010, on our Glide.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:01 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

I believe there is wisdom in the words of Mr. Brown. I would follow his advice and try the heavier spring.
If you do decide to go with a Scorpion clutch, I must say that I am very pleased with the one I have. It is for an older model Harley ('79 FXS) so it will not be exactly like one for your bike but I will attest to their high quality.
The stock Harley primary chain should be plenty strong enough. I would install a new one if yours has a lot of miles on it.
I also have an M6 tensioner, it works very well.

Last edited by megawatt; 01-13-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:15 PM
gypsyjim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You referenced an open primary. I shudder when I see an open primary, at least ones with chain drive primaries.

In the mid '70s my friends and I were the first on the scene outside of Burlington, VT, where a member of a local club had the primary chain fail, and wrap around his foot. Looked a lot like someone tried to cut his foot off with a dull hatchet. NOT a pretty sight.

Up until that day I kind of thought an open primary chain drive was a dam cool look. No longer temped after that though, for some odd reason.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:19 PM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Even though I love belt drives I agree with Mr. Brown as well. I went with a BDL enclosed set up on mine because my clutch basket was shot AND my cover was warped. So I would have spend way more on fixing what I had. This set up worked perfect and I can keep the derby and inspection covers off to vent it and just have a different set up. I love getting questions about how I keep oil in it. Belt drives in my opinion are not worth the money unless you are building something from scratch or your factory set up is shot. Also if you don't get a belt drive lined up correctly you can certainly end up in failure like gypsyjim mentioned above.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:37 PM
gypsyjim
Intermediate

The failure I witnessed was as much a result of poor maintenance, as the open chain primary. I had been looking over the bike a bit earlier at the chop shop, and besides the exposed primary chain there were lots of other issues, although I have to admit that at that point in my life I was no better. Duct tape and/or fence wire were often how I got my Indian home back then.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:29 PM
polish hammer
Tourer

i tore it apart clutch basket seems ok
the chain def needs to be replaced i wanted to run the m6 too
thanx for all the help guys!
any suggestions on the chain type?

Old 01-13-2012, 11:25 PM
kermit_wisconsin
Advanced

Originally Posted by polish hammer
rebuilding my 1997 heritage
im planning on buying either the 113" from ultima or smw

now moving onto the primary and need some help i wanna upgrade the primary to handle the power i plan on a barnett scorpian clutch was wondering bout chain or any bearings maybe an automatic chain tensioner? any suggestions?
don't go with an open primary unless you like headaches. They look really cool but not practical for a daily rider. That's just my 2 cents

Old 01-16-2012, 08:57 AM
polish hammer
Tourer

thanx kermit im leaning towards the closed primary does anyone know what is a good primary chain

Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by polish hammer
thanx kermit im leaning towards the closed primary does anyone know what is a good primary chain
I haven't had a problem with the stock one yet.

Quick Reply: upgrading my primary....or open primary??