EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Solenoid Starter Push Button-EVO anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 12:50 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakerat
Taking a lap around the lake with my sweetie and pulled in at the top of the ramp facing up hill for some sunset pictures. Turning around and rolling toward the water didn't look like a very good option. The button on the handle bar finally kicked the starter over and the next day a new relay and manual button were ordered.
I think that is the best reason not to stop and take pictures I have ever heard.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:09 PM
blair
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one on my 1.75 kw starter . I have used it a couple of times . I had a broken wire in my internal wired bars . It sure was nice to have .

Old 01-14-2012, 10:23 PM
akmorris81
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added the extra relay, but have the solenoid button as a fail safe, haven't had to use it yet, other than showing other riders

Old 07-27-2012, 06:00 PM
NOMORICE
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rewired my relay to where the lights are off while cranking, very simple to do, and it definitely helps. The only drawback would be if you kill it in night time traffic, when you hit the starter button, no lights.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:55 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK , back to basics . Prove your battery as good by having it " Load tested " at any auomotive parts shop for free . New batteries can internally short as well as old ( been there done that ) and will show false multimeter specs. unless under load. If your battery checks ok ., check starter solenoid/relays , dirty bar switch , wire contact points , last but not least ... starter motor itself.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:03 PM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Resolved old post from over 6 months ago...

Old 07-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,013 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
those push button work great- remember that means anyone can start your bike- get a big chain.

Mike
No, it means anyone can crank the bike over. To start the bike requires ignition (spark), and that's on a separate circuit. Don't believe me? Try starting your bike with the solenoid push button with the ignition locked.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Didn't the older ignition switches have two positions for starting? One with the headlight off, and the second one with it on. Could these be retrofitted to the later bikes? Just a thought.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,013 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
Didn't the older ignition switches have two positions for starting? One with the headlight off, and the second one with it on. Could these be retrofitted to the later bikes? Just a thought.
Yes they did. Mine had that style switch, but it worked lights in both positions and ignition in the last ('94/'95 peculiarity). On my bike it was simple to convert it to the old style day/night running positions. I don't know what would be required for a '96/up Softail. It can probably be done, but will require a bit more rewiring.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:56 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Yes they did. Mine had that style switch, but it worked lights in both positions and ignition in the last ('94/'95 peculiarity). On my bike it was simple to convert it to the old style day/night running positions. I don't know what would be required for a '96/up Softail. It can probably be done, but will require a bit more rewiring.
Cant imagine the new ones being too complicated. Mine has 4 wires. Ground, main hot, run, and start and thats an 07

Quick Reply: Solenoid Starter Push Button-EVO anyone?