EVO All Evo Model Discussion

what stage 1 setup has been the best for '98 softail

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 12:45 PM
kermit_wisconsin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what stage 1 setup has been the best for '98 softail

I am not looking to turn a heritage into a drag bike. It don't want power I am not gonna use and don't really care about dyno charts.

I am just wondering what have been the best results for fine tuning evos. I want a smooth running, nice sounding bike. It is completely stock right now and as far as I can tell it runs very good other than seeming to miss after decelerating then rolling back on the throttle.

I also don't have much to spend and will be looking at used parts first.

I am keeping the stock cv carbs. In the future I might have the heads done and replace the stock cams with something moderate but nothing crazy.

So any advice on air cleaner, slip ons, carb jetting and tuning, and ignition coils would be really helpful.

By the way, I just got the bike and have only ridden it a couple of times and in below freezing temps which I can see causing the powerless couple of strokes I get when I decel then roll on the throttle like slowing down for a light that turns green or going around a corner.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:46 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 608 Likes on 338 Posts

K&N stock replacement filter works well, I like S&S slip-ons because of the low note. Coil won't make enough difference to bother with (some will contest this) and I would go up 10% on main jet, add a spacer under the needle and go to a 45 or 48 slow jet.

It won't set the world alight but it will help the motor breathe more easily.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:36 PM
kermit_wisconsin
Advanced

I appreciate it. I will look into the s+s slips. And actually forgot to ask about the needle shim so thanks for that too. I wanted to go from the dual fire to single fire ignition and possibly retard the timing by 3 or 4 or so. Like I said, I don't care about top speed or racing or dyno charts, etc. A little more low end would be nice but really I am just going for as finely tuned as possible under DIY circumstances and without modding the actual engine.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:32 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by kermit_wisconsin
I appreciate it. I will look into the s+s slips. And actually forgot to ask about the needle shim so thanks for that too. I wanted to go from the dual fire to single fire ignition and possibly retard the timing by 3 or 4 or so. Like I said, I don't care about top speed or racing or dyno charts, etc. A little more low end would be nice but really I am just going for as finely tuned as possible under DIY circumstances and without modding the actual engine.

I wouldn't bother retarding the timing, the kind of low end grunt you seek will really only come with a cam swap.

Stock silencers but debaffled actually give good low end grunt but strangle the upper mid-range, the S&S slip ones let it breathe well and it doesn't always feel fatster, just less hurried.....or they did on mine.

My Boyesen Twin-Shot float bowl seems to give more low end grunt and also allows access to the main jet without removing the float bowl.

The truth is....that stock cam....its just pathetic.....and most of what you want requires a cam swap.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:36 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,702 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Spanner got it right...though upping the main jet is optional IMO.

These mods only make the bike run like the engineers who designed it wanted it to run before the EPA stuck their nose in it. But in '98 this is all the tweaking that's necessary.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:57 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Main jet is essential, its barely big enough as it comes out of the factory....Evos like to run a bit rich.

The test is WOT, if, when you shut the throttle again, the bike speeds up.....you are too lean on the main.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:47 PM
kermit_wisconsin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Main jet is essential, its barely big enough as it comes out of the factory....Evos like to run a bit rich.

The test is WOT, if, when you shut the throttle again, the bike speeds up.....you are too lean on the main.
Well I can't find the s&s slip ons but had a d+d 2into1 bobcat on my sporty.
I don't want to go with 2into1 but they make slip ons and so do cycle shack. Any one of those 2 choices ok with the evo? As far as the float bowl goes.... dammit can I just take your wide glide out for a ride? Haha.
I ordered the jet kit and the air cleaner (plus some mirrors) and now just in the process of pipes.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:02 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,702 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Agreed on the lean condition, but I don't consider that essential because it's not the jet he runs on 95% of the time. Popped out many an intermediate (slow) and drilled it out, popped it back in and the bike ran beautifully. If it pulls red line flawlessly, I let it go.

But your point is taken....

Last edited by Stiggy; 12-31-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:52 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by kermit_wisconsin
Well I can't find the s&s slip ons but had a d+d 2into1 bobcat on my sporty.
I don't want to go with 2into1 but they make slip ons and so do cycle shack. Any one of those 2 choices ok with the evo? As far as the float bowl goes.... dammit can I just take your wide glide out for a ride? Haha.
I ordered the jet kit and the air cleaner (plus some mirrors) and now just in the process of pipes.

There is no "wrong" choice of aftermarket pipes, some like one make and others make huge claims for another, I choose my muflers on sound alone as I am not into dyno runs.......You can ride my Glide any time you like but the airfare to NZ might put you off ;-)

Old 01-01-2012, 01:47 AM
kermit_wisconsin
Advanced

There is no "wrong" choice of aftermarket pipes, some like one make and others make huge claims for another, I choose my muflers on sound alone as I am not into dyno runs.......You can ride my Glide any time you like but the airfare to NZ might put you off ;-)
hey thanks a lot for the info. Both of you gave me enough insight. I mod everything I own but this is the first big twin evo I have had and sporties don't count.
One of my brothers rides a 2010 wg and I'll tell you what... stage 1 intake and exhaust, cams and heads, everything that can be done to the 96ci... dynas are just plain freaking FUN when they are tuned up. So ya, if I make it to your hemisphere, I'll take you up on the ride. Happy new year.

Quick Reply: what stage 1 setup has been the best for '98 softail