Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011 | 08:56 AM
FXD_One
|
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tool pouch recommendations

Hi all,

I was thinking of outfitting a tool pouch and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to what types of tools and items I should think about stocking it with.

I plan on taking a trip out to the east coast of Canada this summer from Ontario.

I'm hoping that some of you that have been riding EVO's longer then I might have some tips.

Old 12-15-2011 | 09:23 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Combination wrenches, 3/8" socket set, allen wrenches, torx if your bike has those. Vice grips, needle nose pliers, diagonal cutters. Inexpensive DVM, at least 1 clip lead. Multi-screwdriver set that is capable of getting to the tail light and turn signal screws. 12 point 1/4" socket. 10mm combination wrench. Get a tool bag thing that people strap over the front fender, put all the stuff in there, put that in your saddle bag. I don't like stuff over the fender, as I think it blocks the air flow to the motor.

Old 12-15-2011 | 09:43 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,572 Likes on 2,890 Posts
Old 12-15-2011 | 03:54 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

I agree with Dr. Hess.....

Mine is a Cruz tools set....however, I did add a few things though like zip ties and electrical tape. Oh, and fuel line stashed away. It just rides in the right side saddle bag.

When I had my Dyna Convertible.....

Attached Thumbnails Tool pouch recommendations-th_dsc00247.jpg   Tool pouch recommendations-th_dsc00243.jpg  
Old 12-15-2011 | 05:04 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I used to carry a lot of tools, then realized, just what am I going to be able to fix on the road without spare parts and a service manual. Now I carry allens, small and large cresent, combo screwdriver, electrical tape, some jumper wire and zip ties and a small flashlight. Also I have a rider on my insurance for roadside breakdowns.

Old 12-15-2011 | 05:22 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose
I used to carry a lot of tools, then realized, just what am I going to be able to fix on the road without spare parts and a service manual. Now I carry allens, small and large cresent, combo screwdriver, electrical tape, some jumper wire and zip ties and a small flashlight. Also I have a rider on my insurance for roadside breakdowns.
Speaking of spare parts.....I do carry a gear shift linkage for the Ultra in the saddle bag. I also carry a small bag of various allen, washers, nuts...in the Ultra lowers. This is actually the second gear shift linkage in the saddle bag. About two years ago or so, I came across a couple stranded with their newer model Electra Glide. I stopped to see what the problem was...thinking I couldn't do much. Anyways, the ends of the linkage fell apart. I had the spare in my saddle bag in the unopened package....I only paid like $20. We used my tools and the spare linkage. Guy gave me a $100 dollar bill and thanked me.

Old 12-15-2011 | 08:02 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes, I agree, but prep your bike for the ride and know its weaknesses and a few spare parts will come in handy, was just speaking from my own experiences. No need to go over board, like when you go camping the first time, you bring everything just in case. After a few campouts you find out what you need and really don't need. jmho Sorta have to play the odds.

Old 12-15-2011 | 08:22 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Bikers Choice has a couple of very nice tool bags. If you have hard bags there is a company that makes tool holders that replace the cloth straps that limit how far your bag opens, I have them on our bagger. It makes it easy to find your tools, it beats digging through the bag looking for it. Hope this helps.

Old 12-15-2011 | 08:29 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member

Ya know, while on this subject of parts fallin off and such, maybe a guy should just thread lock everything in sight.......sorta just kidding, but not completely. Even if we don't feel the vibrations, they're still there, are they not? Welcome comments. Don't mean to hi-jack this thread.

Old 12-15-2011 | 09:02 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose
I used to carry a lot of tools, then realized, just what am I going to be able to fix on the road without spare parts and a service manual.
Like this?

Service manual fits on a thumb drive. Or a laptop, as the case may be.

Oh, and my philosophy is everything gets either neverseize or blue loctite.

Quick Reply: Tool pouch recommendations