EVO All Evo Model Discussion

What else do i need for a cam install/partial rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 10:08 AM
lieutenant G
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What else do i need for a cam install/partial rebuild

the bike is a 1998 fxdl, Im 90% sure nothing has been done to it internally as it was a one owner bike when i got it last year. it has 42k miles on it. 80" Evo with K&N Stage I and V&H longshots.

Its not just a cam install, I have developed a tick from my front head and having done some research i'v decided to go ahead and change the cam bearing (I understand this may/probably has nothing todo with the tick) If im doing a cam bearing i might as well do a cam (andrews ev 27) and if im going to have it all broken down i decided to replace the following, cam, cam bearing, lifters, and pushrods. I choose Andrews adjustable pushrods and will be replacing lifters with OEM HD ones "B"? here is the question

what all do i need to do the job start to finish?
I have or will have the following.
Andrew 27 cam
.55 cam shim
cam gear change gasket kit
Torrington needle roller cam bearing (inner/outer) which is this and what else do i need. seals? another bearing?
Genuine HD lifters
Andrews adjustable pushrods
I fully intend to rent a blind hole puller set from Auto zone when it is needed.

So what else do i need to replace while she is torn apart? this pushes the winter budget so I am unable to do port and polish, pistons, valves and valve spring kit. but did I miss anything that when im tearing it apart ill say, "damn i shoulda ordered that"

also, What is the tick mostly likely being caused by, Iv read countless pages on this site and others that say, "its a evo getting some miles on her" but i dont know if i buy that.

Thanks and Semper Fi

Old 12-05-2011, 04:43 PM
lieutenant G
Cruiser

ok so after speaking with a few friends and mechanics i'm thinking that it could be the rockers since that is where the noise is coming from.

what are the chances I just need to replace the bushings?
should i go ahead and replace the whole arm, bushing and shaft?
Can i press the shaft into the bushings in my shop or will i have to take it somewhere?
what are the chances i need pushrods, after talking with everyone, im thinking I may not need them. Good idea to go ahead and replace them?

Old 12-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,085 Likes on 5,818 Posts

Originally Posted by lieutenant G
"damn i shoulda ordered that"
breather gear

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=S%26S+Cycle+Breather+Gear&hl=en&safe=off &client=firefox-a&hs=CM3&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.o sb&biw=1440&bih=686&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5495552753465173763&sa=X&ei=1k7dTpT tA5Oztweng8jsAQ&ved=0CGoQ8wIwAg

Can't hear yours to know if you have a problem...but the only way to completely eliminate the front cylinder tick on a EVO is to turn the motor off. I wouldn't buy anything for the rocker arms till you tear it down and check yours. Adjustable pushrods may quiet yours down to the point you can live with it.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:59 PM
lieutenant G
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
breather gear

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGoQ8wIwAg

Can't hear yours to know if you have a problem...but the only way to completely eliminate the front cylinder tick on a EVO is to turn the motor off. I wouldn't buy anything for the rocker arms till you tear it down and check yours. Adjustable pushrods may quiet yours down to the point you can live with it.
ok so inspect rockers, bushings and shafts and if all is well leave it alone? Im not heart set on replacing anything that i dont NEED to. i just dont want to end up broken down with 1500 peices of cam in my lower motor.

is the breather Gear Kit a definite necessity?

Old 12-05-2011, 08:35 PM
98Chop
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently finished a complete top-end rebuild... I had a slight tick before and still have one now...I replaced EVERYTHING!!! I think it's just the nature of the beast. I'd say inspect the rockers, shafts, and bushings for wear and replace if needed. Also over time the springs get weak and don't have as much resistance (will also cause a tick), it just depends on how detailed you want to get. For around $40-$50 you can buy a good set of adjustable push-rods. makes it easier if you have to get back in there!!! Good luck!!!

Old 12-06-2011, 09:06 AM
lieutenant G
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 98Chop
I recently finished a complete top-end rebuild... I had a slight tick before and still have one now...I replaced EVERYTHING!!! I think it's just the nature of the beast. I'd say inspect the rockers, shafts, and bushings for wear and replace if needed. Also over time the springs get weak and don't have as much resistance (will also cause a tick), it just depends on how detailed you want to get. For around $40-$50 you can buy a good set of adjustable push-rods. makes it easier if you have to get back in there!!! Good luck!!!
thanks, Is there anyway to tell if the valve springs/plates(?) are wore out and need replaced?

Old 12-06-2011, 09:56 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Really the only thing the adjustable pushrods are good for is making it possible to get to your cam and lifters without taking apart your rockerboxes. If you are going to take your rockerboxes apart anyway I would stick with the stock ones.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:43 AM
lieutenant G
Cruiser

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Really the only thing the adjustable pushrods are good for is making it possible to get to your cam and lifters without taking apart your rockerboxes. If you are going to take your rockerboxes apart anyway I would stick with the stock ones.
well im not doing it all at the same time so Im going to go ahead and do the adjustables. i got a set of andrews chromoloy(sp) adjustables for $85 on ebay

Regarding cam bearings, i have an inner and outter? what is the needle roller cam bearing? how do i press the new bearings in?

Last edited by lieutenant G; 12-06-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:35 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by lieutenant G
well im not doing it all at the same time so Im going to go ahead and do the adjustables. i got a set of andrews chromoloy(sp) adjustables for $85 on ebay

Regarding cam bearings, i have an inner and outter? what is the needle roller cam bearing? how do i press the new bearings in?
I believe you only have an inner and I used a cam berring installer. You might get away using a socket with an extension and a rubber mallet.

i don't think you have an outer (I don't)

Old 12-06-2011, 08:36 PM
lieutenant G
Cruiser

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I believe you only have an inner and I used a cam berring installer. You might get away using a socket with an extension and a rubber mallet.

i don't think you have an outer (I don't)
what about seals?
is this the bearing, J&P cycle says so..so it must be...right? http://www.jpcycles.com/product/431-429

Quick Reply: What else do i need for a cam install/partial rebuild