EVO All Evo Model Discussion

MPH/Metric Speedo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 827 Likes on 443 Posts

To be honest Mr B I think you are being a bit picky, just stick tape on for continental trips and peel it off when you get home.......why spend a heap of money on the problem?

Old 11-25-2011, 02:52 PM
theyammieguy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That website I linked, Joe can make any speedometer dial you want, and if he has never made one for a particular model, he will do it for free so he has a template. His name is Joe and he's a good friend of mine.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:08 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
To be honest Mr B I think you are being a bit picky, just stick tape on for continental trips and peel it off when you get home.......why spend a heap of money on the problem?
I have been doing that for a while now! The problem with sticking stuff on the glass, is paralax, so it is only approximate and frankly not accurate enough. I have actually bought stick-on 'converters', but the problem is they do not correspond to our speedo scale, so are actually useless.

The best place is on the dial, but the conversion has to be accurate to be worth doing at all. Having the gps is helpful, but it is not easy to read and when riding on foreign roads, on the wrong side of the road, familiarity is the key word, not looking around for a different instrument.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:10 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My '84 FLTC has both mph/kph with MPH as the predominant display. Looks like 86-up uses a different part # My part # is 67232-80a . Good luck with your search.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:23 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by theyammieguy
That website I linked, Joe can make any speedometer dial you want, and if he has never made one for a particular model, he will do it for free so he has a template. His name is Joe and he's a good friend of mine.
Can you tell me why he cant sell just the face plate for harley's?

Old 11-25-2011, 05:45 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by notlost_nc
My '84 FLTC has both mph/kph with MPH as the predominant display. Looks like 86-up uses a different part # My part # is 67232-80a . Good luck with your search.
I hired a bike same model and colour as yours, through HOG, way back in '85, for a trip to Daytona! Is your speedo an 80MPH one? That is the only version I have seen so far.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:38 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
I have been doing that for a while now! The problem with sticking stuff on the glass, is paralax, so it is only approximate and frankly not accurate enough. I have actually bought stick-on 'converters', but the problem is they do not correspond to our speedo scale, so are actually useless.

The best place is on the dial, but the conversion has to be accurate to be worth doing at all. Having the gps is helpful, but it is not easy to read and when riding on foreign roads, on the wrong side of the road, familiarity is the key word, not looking around for a different instrument.
If a German can get away with speeding on the M11 because he thought it was an unrestricted Autobahn, I am sure you could just yell "Me no understand" and get away with it ;-);-)

Old 11-26-2011, 04:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Originally Posted by Spanners39
If a German can get away with speeding on the M11 because he thought it was an unrestricted Autobahn, I am sure you could just yell "Me no understand" and get away with it ;-);-)
I haven't been caught over there yet, but you haven't heard the horror stories of getting stopped for speeding en France! Allegedly very heavy fines that have to be paid on the spot or your vehicle is impounded. That ain't no joke! On the other hand there are some benefits, as automated speed cameras in some countries cannot 'read' foreign plates. However as most foreign Police are heavily armed it is wise to avoid attracting their attention if possible.

Ironically, our only contact with Gendarmes in France was in May, when we suffered a puncture in a small rural town. They were the only locals who spoke English and helped us push the bike to safety off the road.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:30 PM
theyammieguy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Can you tell me why he cant sell just the face plate for harley's?
That I do not know. You can email him and ask him.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
I haven't been caught over there yet, but you haven't heard the horror stories of getting stopped for speeding en France! Allegedly very heavy fines that have to be paid on the spot or your vehicle is impounded. That ain't no joke! On the other hand there are some benefits, as automated speed cameras in some countries cannot 'read' foreign plates. However as most foreign Police are heavily armed it is wise to avoid attracting their attention if possible.

Ironically, our only contact with Gendarmes in France was in May, when we suffered a puncture in a small rural town. They were the only locals who spoke English and helped us push the bike to safety off the road.

I once pretended to be Mexican to get off a speeding charge....didn't work as I was drunk and the cop knew me

Quick Reply: MPH/Metric Speedo?