EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Decision Time

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Evo Bagger
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decision Time

Okay back into the two wheel scene and want an Evo ... looking at two local here in Texas and be darned if i cant make up my mind

First is a 89 Heritage with 23K on the clock ...
Metallic Copper / Cream
Screaming Eagle Ignition Module
Andrews E V 27 cam
S and S Super E carb
D and D slip on exhaust
Jims Lifters
Here is the link to the ad http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/2677553969.html

2nd one is a 97 Road King (Carb model) with 22K on the clock
All stock no mods, mistique green and black, no shield or sissy bar.
http://www.sitegraffix.com/DSCN1834
http://www.sitegraffix.com/DSCN1832

both are the same price ... i have had a Heritage before but not a RK.
I plan to daily ride about 15 miles each way to work mainly rural country roads and of course road trip when I can on weekends ... heard the RK are the way to go for touring .. but that Heritage sure looks sweet!

Advice needed ... which one whould be the better buy?

Kevin

Old 11-13-2011, 03:14 PM
SGT89EVO
Advanced

My oppion is go with the Road king. Yea the Heritage has all the MODS but was the mods done professionally even if the guys mechanc I would go with the RK In my oppion it look alot cleaner nicer and you got a freash start to do what you want my .02 cent

Old 11-13-2011, 03:22 PM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 507 Likes on 279 Posts

The Heritage is Candy Bronze And Creme NOT Copper. Those colors pop. I know from experience. As far as touring on a softail, two trips out West last year.

Also mine is set up similar to the one in the add and it holds its own.

Last edited by V-Twins & Bowties; 11-13-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:56 PM
gump305
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow Love the Road King, it looks mint. I have a 97 Heritage, and if it was me I'd be all over that King!!

Old 11-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Try to avoid a 1989 due to the motor. 1989 was the year Harley changed the crank from a 5 piece to a 3 piece. The cam side is weak, and can break under heavy load. There was a Service Flash (Not a Recall) about problems with that motor, but it was only used if there was a motor problem. It also was restricted to the original owner and under certain mileage. I know because it happened to me with my 1989.

There are several motor parts that are used only on that year. If you try to buy any parts with a -89 part number for the motor, you will find they are obsolete. Harley did it the next year (1990) because of the problems.

Besides, the later year model you can get for the money, the better. And the 1997 has the newer wiring plugs that make most electrical parts just a "Plug-N-Play". Plus the EVO is from the last years and is, IMO, better than the earlier EVO.

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 11-13-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Evo Bagger
Advanced

Thanks for the replies ... just got back from looking/riding both of them ... wow is all I can say ... both are great looking bikes ...

The 89 runs and sounds great ... has the good ole "potato" idle, new tires and battery but does have a few issues ... rust on some of the chrome and a few weeping seals/gaskets and under the bike is oily, maybe a loose filter or some one didn't let the filter drain before removal, hard to say where it has come from as it looks old not fresh ... paint is good but does have a few wounds here and there but you really have to be looking to see them.

The King .. wow ... if you did not know it was 97 you would swear it was a new bike, I could not find a mark on it anywhere, it also has new D402's, new battery, receipts worth about $2500 for replacement seals, gaskets, fuel tank and carb clean, new hoses etc in the last 12 months. Doesn't pull as well as the 89 but that was to be expected ... everytime I touched it the owner was there polishing where I had touched ... lol

The verdict ... I am now the proud owner of a 1997 Road King ... First thing on the agenda is a windshield ... bugs here in TX this time of year are big critters!!!

Thanks for the replies

Old 11-13-2011, 07:43 PM
blackbear
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new ride. I think you made the right choice.keep the rubber side down.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:50 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great bike. I would love to find an EVO that clean. Good for you.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:37 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider
Try to avoid a 1989 due to the motor. 1989 was the year Harley changed the crank from a 5 piece to a 3 piece. The cam side is weak, and can break under heavy load. There was a Service Flash (Not a Recall) about problems with that motor, but it was only used if there was a motor problem. It also was restricted to the original owner and under certain mileage. I know because it happened to me with my 1989.

There are several motor parts that are used only on that year. If you try to buy any parts with a -89 part number for the motor, you will find they are obsolete. Harley did it the next year (1990) because of the problems.

Besides, the later year model you can get for the money, the better. And the 1997 has the newer wiring plugs that make most electrical parts just a "Plug-N-Play". Plus the EVO is from the last years and is, IMO, better than the earlier EVO.
Your right , 88 & 89 where also the years the left side case would lose the steel cast in boss for the double timken bearing and the motor push oil into the primary's . Another one where harley didn't do a recall you had to jump some hopes even with warranty time left . Know people went the same thing in 6 month period .

Old 11-14-2011, 06:13 AM
gump305
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on the Road King, I think youade the right chose. There is so much you can do with the king, take it from full on tour mode to street cruser in minute. Of corse you will want the tourpac if 2 up and longer rides are normal.

Quick Reply: Decision Time