EVO All Evo Model Discussion

older bikes don't get much interest

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 09:45 PM
uesque
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: older bikes don't get much interest

I was talking to a guy with a brand new Softail Standard the other night. He started it up to leave, and the engine didn't even move in the frame! Nothing vibrated. What's that all about? My 89 has rubber mounting, his apparently has RUB'er mounting.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:01 PM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 96flstn

I was surprised to see that there were so few posts in this section. I am knew to this forum. Is ther so little intrest in blockheads?
Can't say for a fact, but I think that many older bike or multiple bikeowners like me enter the forum and click the "Post Since Last Visit" and go from there.

But there is lots of evo's,shov's, pan's and even some Knuk's and flat's kicking around from time to time. Usually a good read.

chappy

Old 06-11-2007, 11:04 PM
onephsyco1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ASQTec

Ditto on the character these old girls possess.

Here's my '87 FLHTCafter a long day in the rain.

Looks great !

Jack

Old 06-12-2007, 06:13 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: uesque

I was talking to a guy with a brand new Softail Standard the other night. He started it up to leave, and the engine didn't even move in the frame! Nothing vibrated. What's that all about? My 89 has rubber mounting, his apparently has RUB'er mounting.
As I was walking to the parking lot where I work, there was the usual line of bikes sitting there with the riders getting ready, some metric , some not, most are loud, and the newer Harleys sat there as smooth at idle as the metrics; heck, I could not tell them apart. The one thing that stands out in the Harley is the old style cow bell horn. When our '90 Ultra with the evo is at idle the entire front end dances from the engine shaking, you can be several hundred yards back and spot an evo in of a crowd of new metric smooth twin cams. When we were in York Pa for the Hog rally last summer there were several times we were at a red light with dozens of bikes and you could spot the older Harleys by the way they shook - no question about it they were Harleys. The new twin cams do have the big advantage of being more metric like in quality and smoothness, but the older Harley still has the traditional Harley character that made it famous. If I were a practical person I would probably buy a new metric smooth counter balanced fuel injected twin cam with all the fancy new accessories, but I want to savor the old Harley tradition as long as I can. I do admit there are times when I can't find something I need I start to think maybe it's time to buy something new so I can walk in any dealer and get anything I want and for the most part the service HD techs will know what they are doing because they actually had training and experience with the twin cams. The again, I guess if I were really practical I would buy a Gold Wing, no I'm, not ready to be practical yet.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:56 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You know I was thinking the same thing the other day. Its kinda funny how many '06-07 threads are started here.. I've been hanging arround for a little while and have seen several days where there were no new additions to the Evo forum[&o]... I for one like the Evo, guess thats all I've had experience with, plus I prefer the looks of my '94 FXDWG over any of the new bikes. I do like the Nightster and Bob looks, but not enough to trade, maybe as a second bike for the wife though.. I'm all for progress as long as they keep the character Harley is famos for. If I wanted a metric, I'd buy one. Just like I wanted a Harley and bought one rather than a look alike.. JMO I guess because all MFG's are selling every bike they produce..

Old 06-12-2007, 01:18 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 439 Likes on 248 Posts

ORIGINAL: uesque

its the 88B motor. B meaning balanced.
softails are not rubber mounted.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:13 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 83 Posts

The parts availability can be challenging and If I can't fix it, it will only go to a trusted Indy, so dealer support for work is not an issue to me personally. But, all that being said, when I cruise thru all of the threads in the bagger sections and I look at all the challenges those guys have with the 88" twinkies and the 96" twinkies, I'll save my cash on buying a new one and enjoy what I have.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:28 PM
mustasz
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Last year I bought my 96 fxdl,it's the newest harley I ever had.Rides,looks and sounds great.My whole famile says- Dad,never sell it. Mat

[IMG]local://upfiles/32419/5269A4FC31B44DD9B4E54E977F248906.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-14-2007, 12:08 AM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I like my evo. I have had it for 4 years. I bought service and parts manual. Learning to do my own wrenching. I have always worked on my own cars and trucks until they became so computerized. The evo is simple compared to the new bikes. Very dependable. I just finished a 2000 mile trip on it. I will never get rid of it, even if I get the itchfor a new bike. I have posted on the forum before that the best part is not having to make monthly payments. It is all mine.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Night_Train01
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I started my dyna project I knew exactly what I wanted to build......something classic. I would not trade this bike for anything

Quick Reply: older bikes don't get much interest