EVO All Evo Model Discussion

older bikes don't get much interest

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 07:54 AM
p144
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: older bikes don't get much interest

Yeah, I plan on pulling it apart as soon as I get a clutch spring compressor. I've got a leak behind the inner primary, so I'll take a look when I do that. It was sitting in the garage for a few months with a bad rocker box leak that I just fixed. I was working too much for a while to get to it. I know that the media says that we're on the verge of a depression, but construction in the South is booming. We have to turn work down. For us the problem isn't lack of work, but lack of workers. At some point it became unfashionable in America to work hard for your money. Hey, maybe that's another reason people don't want to work on their scoots.... it's too hard. Ok, I'm getting off of my soap box now.
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-20-2008, 10:37 AM
jokenroll
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice thread, Gentlemen!
I think Evo's are here to stay. Look at all those big dogs, S&amp\\;\\\\\\;S and other "cloned" stuff. I don't see them start basing all that on TC in the nearest future. Evo is the best building playground, IMHO.
I'm new to harleys, even though I've been riding for 20 yrs, even though I'm a relatively young dude
So, I could have easily afforded TC, but after a fair amount of research I decided to go with an evo which needs rebuild, since I wanted to build a hog from the ground up, the way I want it.

TC's are more on the side of being a direct competition against metrics. While they may succeed, the niche will be taken by factory rebuilt Evos and clones. So, I think it becomes a different story now, and we are not comparing apple and apple anymore.
If you want a worry-free ride, with perhaps jap quality, plus the name and the legend - you go TC
If you want more of a real soul and spirit rather than just a legend, and you want your playground for truly yours and unique bike - you go evo.

I'm happy I didn't get TC - all the money I saved on that, I'm spending on whatever-I-can-think-of upgrades for the evo&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Old 07-04-2008, 10:40 PM
petewood70
Intermediate

How reliable is an 1986 FXWG in reasonable good condition and mostly stock?
I know a car that old would be shot.
I like the character of old bikes and the kick start too.
I'm considering getting one for short trips of less than 50 miles.
I don't want to be riding the thing&nbsp\\;if it falls apart.
Should I get something newer instead?

Old 07-09-2008, 04:38 AM
highbars92
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 92 springer in Jan 2000. It was kept in a shed by the previous owner and had only 8000 miles. He had back problems and couldn't ride anymore. It has 65K+ miles on it now.&nbsp\\;My friend that owns an indy shop still remembers the first day I rode up and how awful it looked then. It was down for a little over 2 years but is now up and running strong as ever. I'm gonna keep it forever.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:56 AM
91fxrider
Stage I

hi ya'll,
I'm new to the forum so I decided to jump in on this old but popular thread.&nbsp\\; To me rid'in a bike must be different than it is to some of the newer riders.&nbsp\\; I feel like a big part of rid'in is the connection you form with your ride.&nbsp\\; Over the past 14 years my old softail has left me on the side of the road a few times, mostly battery or charging problems.&nbsp\\; Its not fun being stuck on the side of the road, but its all part of the connection.&nbsp\\; When I hear guys talk'in about trading their old twin cam in on a newer shinier model it just makes me cringe.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;Ain't anybody sentimental anymore, what about all those miles and memories with your old bike.&nbsp\\; I may be the only one that feels this way, but if i am, i'm happy feeling this way.&nbsp\\; I remember when all the old pan and shovel riders use to give us a hard time.&nbsp\\; This one old guy about 12 years ago on an old generator shovel called us evo-sexuals.&nbsp\\; I didn't care much for that old fart!