older bikes don't get much interest

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 10:09 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,116 Likes on 22,587 Posts
Default RE: older bikes don't get much interest

ORIGINAL: steelhorse 1971

Its funny I remember when you use to see the "older" guys wearing Hear no evo,see no evo,speak no evo shirts
It's funny that "they" should say that when it was the evo that was HD's saving grace and most successful engine,
and did more for reviving their dying company than did any other motor.

Your bigger motors are still built of the evolution design too.
If it wouldn't have been for the"evo" HD wouldbehistorical memoribillia.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:54 AM
jimmer25
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New to the Forum. Just picked up a 85 EVO FXEF Superglide. It's my 1st Harley andit's a great ride. Keep up the postings, especially on the older bikes.

Jim

Old 06-02-2008, 04:58 PM
pepi
Novice

New to the forums and new to the HD world. I've been a car guy all my life and had wanted a Harley for about as long, unfortunately lifes things had a habit of getting in the way of me aquiring a bike. So, finally I did, picked up an '88 Heritage Softail for what a believe was a steal. I had been riding my pals 2002 Fatboy since he was busy with work and couldn't ride. What a thrill it was when I rode the '88 as compared to the '02. Don't get me wrong the Fatboy was smooth as silk and there in lies the issue. I come from the old school dayswhen tuning a car did NOT involve a computer...and we all stood around listening the car that just pulled up with solid lifters, the big *** camand wiping the tears from your eyes because of the amount of octane booster it had in the fuel. The best way I can say it is, the '88 has character and life, the '02 umm its a nice bike. One other important thing. The guys that are riding the new bikes for some reason tend to be a bunch of a-holes, I know I'm generalizing and there are probably a few good ones out there butI never got that from the guys riding the older bikes, they have always been willing to listen, help and if I'm lucky, I'll get a killer story out of them.
So, With all that being said, I thought that this was the best place for my first post. I suppose I'll post something in the intro section...or not.

Thanks,
Pepi

Old 06-02-2008, 07:23 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Pepi,
Welcome to the Geritol side of the joint! And there's even another set of rooms where the wheelchair, walker, and cane-dudes hang - Shovel, Pan, Knuck, Flattie, Ironhead types.

You're dead on about older bikes, character, and life. For me (and this is strictly my opinion, and reflects my tastes and likes) the rubber mounted, counterbalanced, fuel injected, etc. bikes lack something almost indefinable. Even THE MAMA's Nightster, about as basic an HD as you can get nowadays, is just a little too easy to ride. But in the long run, just riding whatever floats your boat is a "good thing."

Old 06-04-2008, 05:48 PM
garryb54
Stage I

I've always been one for older anything...well almost everything.
I'm on my 4th scoot since '72, third Harley.
I just donated my 88 heavily modified Sportster to my son-in-law, and am proud to have contributed to his mental health.
I just bought my second EVO, 96 Electra Glide Classic, that only needed my tender loving care.
I actually loved the Sportster, and miss it now, but am getting used to the bagger. I guess as I get older, I appreciate the smoother ride of the bigger bikes.
I've had the 96 for a couple of months and have touched just about every nut and bolt with my own hands...wouldn't have it any other way. Can't bring myself to pay someone else to do what I can do myself, and then know what was done and how it was done.
Glad to find this section....I was getting tired of reading about all of the EFI maps and SERTS and stuff...has no meaning to me.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:52 PM
madcritter
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: garryb54

I've always been one for older anything...well almost everything.
I'm on my 4th scoot since '72, third Harley.
I just donated my 88 heavily modified Sportster to my son-in-law, and am proud to have contributed to his mental health.
I just bought my second EVO, 96 Electra Glide Classic, that only needed my tender loving care.
I actually loved the Sportster, and miss it now, but am getting used to the bagger. I guess as I get older, I appreciate the smoother ride of the bigger bikes.
I've had the 96 for a couple of months and have touched just about every nut and bolt with my own hands...wouldn't have it any other way. Can't bring myself to pay someone else to do what I can do myself, and then know what was done and how it was done.
Glad to find this section....I was getting tired of reading about all of the EFI maps and SERTS and stuff...has no meaning to me.
&nbsp\\;
Amen

Old 06-04-2008, 06:40 PM
HOGBOB
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only owned two Harleys. A&nbsp\\;really tricked out 79 Shovel, and my current 07' Deluxe. I totally missed the whole Block head thing. ( KIDS, HOUSE, WIFE, ETC.)&nbsp\\;I do however consider them to be one fine motor, and the savior of the MOCO. Thanks AMF![8D]

Old 06-09-2008, 04:27 AM
Ribcracker
Tourer

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

ORIGINAL: hottrocker

What did that last post mean?&nbsp\\; Sounded angry.
I think he dipped his toe in the water and it wasn't the right temp for him!
&nbsp\\;
nope still around just don't post got burned out on twinkie owners are their new bolt on bits and being moaned at about picture sizes from my photobucket site.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:16 PM
p144
2nd Gear

Hey everyone. I signed up about a week ago, but just found this corner of the forum. I was about to loose interest in the site, but now I think I might hang around a bit.
&nbsp\\;
My first bike was an '80 Iron Head (worn out) chopper that I pushed more than I rode. It became a down payment on my first home in 2000. In '03 I convinced my still naive bride that we could afford a 100th anniversary Heritage which was true for a few months until Jr came along. I have no idea how hard it&nbsp\\;(TC)&nbsp\\;is to work on or not as I wasn't about to touch it. The thought of&nbsp\\;possibly&nbsp\\;screwing up a bike that I was going to be paying on for a long time didn't appeal to me. I'm probably not alone in that train of thought which might give another reason for the busy service departments.
&nbsp\\;
After the TC I rode a Vic for a while, but I'd just rather not talk about that. lol. Then two years ago I had an opportunity to buy&nbsp\\;my dad's '96 Fat Boy. I can truly say that this is the best bike I've had. Hands down. The EVO has a hell of a lot more kick than that TC did. To be honest, I originally bought it from dad because I couldn't afford a new bike and wanted to get back to a&nbsp\\;Harley. It didn't take long&nbsp\\;though to realize that even if I got a windfall I'd still ride this bike. I would do a few things to it, but I'll never get rid of it.
&nbsp\\;
There is one thing that I think is humorous about this thread. The same attitude from the shops and TC riders today is the same attitude that I ran into from the shops and EVO riders in the mid-nineties when I pulled up on my Iron Head and dripped oil all over the parking lot.
&nbsp\\;
By the way, does anyone know where I can get a primary drian plug? I just serviced it this past weekend and noticed that the magnet was&nbsp\\;chipping apart. I broke the rest off for now, but I want to replace it with another magnetized plug. I've looked at several of the aftermarket parts websites, but with no luck. I'd rather not have to go to the "boutique" for it if I don't have to.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks
Phillip

Old 06-20-2008, 04:17 AM
Ribcracker
Tourer

welcome to the naughty corner Not sure on sources for your drain plug, aint going to cost much from the stealer anyways, I tend to find if someone doesnt make a patern part for something oe on a bike the origanl one is cheap anyways. The real thing you need to think about is why the plug is getting damaged. I would have the primary cover off and have a good look at the primary drive chain.

Quick Reply: older bikes don't get much interest