EVO All Evo Model Discussion

older bikes don't get much interest

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Chris76
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: older bikes don't get much interest

Glad to see some posts in the "Evo" section. I do my own wrenching too, and would only allow my Dad to touch my bike as well (since he is the original builder, plus he knows what the hell he's doing).

Old 05-21-2008, 03:48 PM
steelhorse 1971
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its funny I remember when you use to see the "older" guys wearing Hear no evo,see no evo,speak no evo shirts

Old 05-22-2008, 05:10 AM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: steelhorse 1971

Its funny I remember when you use to see the "older" guys wearing Hear no evo,see no evo,speak no evo shirts
They still do

Old 05-22-2008, 06:26 AM
Ribcracker
Tourer

well it always foes come donw to the those that do and those that don't when talking bikes. The those that don't tend to be found hanging around the dealers looking at each other latest bit of harley bling. Those that do are out riding or round each tohers workshop discusing the latets project thats on the bench being built out of the bike the former lot sold when it ran out of warantee, got to love the guys that buy the latets bikes......gives us something to buy in a few years time

Old 05-22-2008, 06:55 AM
Chris76
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ribcracker

well it always foes come donw to the those that do and those that don't when talking bikes. The those that don't tend to be found hanging around the dealers looking at each other latest bit of harley bling. Those that do are out riding or round each tohers workshop discusing the latets project thats on the bench being built out of the bike the former lot sold when it ran out of warantee, got to love the guys that buy the latets bikes......gives us something to buy in a few years time
Nicely said...

Old 05-24-2008, 12:12 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,176 Posts

yea well......... I looked at a forum and tried to get some assistance there and it wasn't happening. I like it here myself. And you're right ... I hadto unsubscribe to a lot of the sections here because I was bombarded with emails where somebody had a "store bought motorsickle" changed the pipes - spent a lot of money on accessories, couildn't figure out the right computer program to make it workand fussed about how it didn't run right. And/or bitched about having their bike dyno-tuned and wondered why it got bad fuel mileage.

Really, there's some pretty cool people here! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-24-2008, 07:26 AM
Ribcracker
Tourer

bye bye off somehwere people know how to scroll up and down and side to side cant have pictures streching threads and hiding the adverts now can we.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:25 AM
hottrocker
Cruiser

What did that last post mean? Sounded angry.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:34 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: hottrocker

What did that last post mean? Sounded angry.
I think he dipped his toe in the water and it wasn't the right temp for him!

Old 05-31-2008, 11:11 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Huh, this thread has been going since Nov 30, 2006. And most of us who were in it back then are still probably riding the same bike.

I never thought I'd end up with an Evo. (I don't think I'll ever end up with a Twinkie, but I reckon I oughtta know better than to say "never".) I was looking for another Shovel and had found one I wanted, but the deal never happened. Looked at the ad for a 1987 Evo Softail Heritage and the price was reasonable. That was the start, Dec 2000. Coming up on 8 years soon enough.

Funny how the forums have changed since I first dropped in here. Some things are better; some not. Got burned out doing the moderator thing, so I'm now an "indy, LOL. Too much drama and I surely can get enough of that with my in-laws! Way more "look at this bolt-on piece of chrome thing I'm having the dealer install" crap in most of the forums. The oil stuff is all recycled (sorry, couldn't resist), the same questions get asked and answered over and over and over and over ... Nature of the beast, I reckon.

Meantime, I'm taking way too long revamping my scoot. Started posting the project in the (ta-da!) projects forum but got zero comments. Not looking for praise, but sometimes a dude will ask something and get you thinking in a completely new direction. Dropped in on a couple other forums, but there are very few with appreciable Evo info, and even less "I done it my way" stuff.

Well, I'm glad y'all are still here, plugging away, and keeping what may be "The Last of the Real Harleys" alive. Yeah, it's just my opinion, but I believe the Twinkies and the new rubber-mount Sportsters are the first of the "use 'em and lose 'em" Harleys. Too many things done for ease of manufacturing that can limit or make it too expensive to rebuild 'em over a lifetime. Such is progress, I reckon. Don't misunderstand me, there are many great things about the latest models. It's just that some (not all) of the changes are going to have long term ramifications that we won't understand for 20 years. But then I probably won't be around in another 20 years.

Meantime I'll ride and rebuild a certain 1987 Evo Sloptail, and plan my pre-rubber-but-still-Evo-Sportster-in-a-late-'70s-FL-sized-frame bagger!

Quick Reply: older bikes don't get much interest