EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1992 FLHS to FLHTC??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Amckee2
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 FLHS to FLHTC??

I am sure this has been beat to death but I looked before I posted.. I am new to harley and just got a 1992 FLHS and I want to put a Fairing on so I can have music and maybe some gauges. I think I have it right that in 1992 you could get a FLHS,FLHTC,FLHT?? I want to get rid of the "bread box" gauge thing. Can I just order a FLHTC fairing and bolt up?

Old 10-30-2011, 04:59 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

There are two ways of approaching this, either using 90s secondhand parts, or buying one of the new batwings for recent RKs. I have an old glass-fibre batwing on my FLHS, but also bought and tried to fit a contemporary batwing. I gave up on that because I wasn't prepared to wrestle with the wiring and different instruments, etc!

FLHS instruments are things of great beauty!

Attached Thumbnails 1992 FLHS to FLHTC??-tomtom-final-2_e.jpg  
Old 10-30-2011, 05:25 PM
Amckee2
Intermediate

Thanks for your help. Which year Road king? So i can't buy a 90s FLHT or FLHTC Fairing?

Last edited by Amckee2; 10-30-2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: .
Old 10-30-2011, 07:30 PM
irydasteelhorse
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you might be able to find all the parts on ebay, or a bike wrecking yard, but like was said, youll have a lot of wiring ahead of you. the early 90's batwing had the same basic "breadbox" gauge cluster in them, + volts and oil pressure. youd have to go newer to get the more modern looking gauges, and that presents a whole other set of wiring problems. i had an 89 flhs and added the batwing, basically the same as GBROWN did. if you want more, its probly easier by far to just sell it and buy the bike you really want.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:25 PM
Amckee2
Intermediate

Thanks for your help...I just got the bike last week and one of the parts of the deal was I could not sell but I could mod. What batwing would you recommend? So the inside of the batwing is just plastic? no cd player etc.. Could I just buy the parts off a FLHTC or FLHT and bolt up?

Old 10-30-2011, 09:16 PM
irydasteelhorse
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

if you found a batwing of the same or close year, it would bolt on, yes. that would be the best way to approach this, given the circumstances you have. it CAN be done. the stock fairing for your year had an am/fm/cassette player. i know you can fit a newer style radio/head unit. there are kits for doing just that, available on the internet (ebay?) the fairing contained 2 speakers, and the volts and oil pressure gauges, along with that same breadbox speedo and tach. windshields can still be had for these, they are 5 hole. i have been told the newer 3 hole style works, you just dont use 2 of the holes. youll need an antenae, and cable, mount. do you have the tour pack?(trunk). flhs didnt come with one. you dont NEED one, but it is where the stock antenae mounts.
if you are mechanically inclined and /or technically able, it can be done. i guess maybe i should have asked your abilities before jumping on the trade it for what ya want thing..........sorry

Old 10-31-2011, 02:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

A 90s batwing will bolt on, but the speedo and tacho are mounted in it and the wiring will need to be extended. At the time your bike was made Harley were making far fewer bikes than they make today, so the wiring is not as adaptable as on modern bikes. It requires more effort to make these sorts of changes than it might on a recent bike.

I recommend you get a factory service manual (not any of the cheap copies). From that you will see how FLHS wiring differs from the full dressers. Harley did make for a short time a batwing kit for the FLHS, but it didn't carry any electrics, so looks much like my bike above.

There is no doubt a batwing with instruments etc can be fitted, but it will require a lot of determination. You cannot buy new parts, as Harley no longer makes them. The batwing from a recent bike can probably be fitted, but the same comment applies.

You can fit a simple batwing like mine, but if you planned when buying your bike to have a batwing full of toys you bought the wrong bike!

I strongly recommend you ride and bond with your bike and put thoughts of changing it to the back of your mind for the time being!

Old 10-31-2011, 07:12 PM
woodnbow
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"one of the parts of the deal was I could not sell but I could mod."

Did you get clear title with this "deal"?

I'd go with the Ness fairing designed for the Road King. You'd probably have to fab some parts but that's life with a twenty year old bike...

"I strongly recommend you ride and bond with your bike and put thoughts of changing it to the back of your mind for the time being!"

I had an FLHS like yours, a '93. Sweet ride, I replaced the windshield with a new copy (using my old hardware) from Rifle and rode the living daylights out of that bike. Wish I still had it.

Last edited by woodnbow; 10-31-2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Agree with Graham,
Old 10-31-2011, 09:23 PM
Amckee2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by irydasteelhorse
if you found a batwing of the same or close year, it would bolt on, yes. that would be the best way to approach this, given the circumstances you have. it CAN be done. the stock fairing for your year had an am/fm/cassette player. i know you can fit a newer style radio/head unit. there are kits for doing just that, available on the internet (ebay?) the fairing contained 2 speakers, and the volts and oil pressure gauges, along with that same breadbox speedo and tach. windshields can still be had for these, they are 5 hole. i have been told the newer 3 hole style works, you just dont use 2 of the holes. youll need an antenae, and cable, mount. do you have the tour pack?(trunk). flhs didnt come with one. you dont NEED one, but it is where the stock antenae mounts.
if you are mechanically inclined and /or technically able, it can be done. i guess maybe i should have asked your abilities before jumping on the trade it for what ya want thing..........sorry
Thanks for your help..I think I am just going to find a batwing around that year.. No tour pack. I think I will just swap out the am/fm/cassette for a newer cd. My abilites are ok but I have a good group of friends that like to mess around with wrenches.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:28 PM
Amckee2
Intermediate

You can fit a simple batwing like mine, but if you planned when buying your bike to have a batwing full of toys you bought the wrong bike!

I strongly recommend you ride and bond with your bike and put thoughts of changing it to the back of your mind for the time being![/quote]

i just hate the big windshield and wants some tunes!! I think my biggest problem will be finding the parts.. But I am excited to mess with the new toy.

Quick Reply: 1992 FLHS to FLHTC??