1992 FLHS to FLHTC??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 09:31 PM
Amckee2
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by woodnbow
"one of the parts of the deal was I could not sell but I could mod."

Did you get clear title with this "deal"?

I'd go with the Ness fairing designed for the Road King. You'd probably have to fab some parts but that's life with a twenty year old bike...

"I strongly recommend you ride and bond with your bike and put thoughts of changing it to the back of your mind for the time being!"

I had an FLHS like yours, a '93. Sweet ride, I replaced the windshield with a new copy (using my old hardware) from Rifle and rode the living daylights out of that bike. Wish I still had it.
I did get a clear title. It was a gift. He has just had it since 1994 and it was his baby.. Which I understand.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

If you want music you could look into fitting an old batwing like mine and mounting your music maker in it. That way you don't need to mess with the current electrics of the bike, just wire in the radio/CD unit, which is electrically simple. Look for shovel parts.

Alternatively there are new kits like this one or this one.

This is a good example of a shovel fairing. You will need a windshield, which fastems to the top of the mountings (not to the fairing).

Old 11-01-2011, 07:49 AM
woodnbow
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Roger that... Good luck with your project.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:11 PM
vegasjones
Intermediate

Did you ever figure this out? If not I think I can help you out. I just finished mine up. I have a 93 FLHS. I kept the bread box dash as it really can be a mess to replace. You can use a shovelhead fairing and mounts, you just have to mod the "L" brackets on the mounts a bit to make it work. I just got mine finished up and painted today so if you need some advice just let me know. As far as tunes you can find those aftermarket kits that mount to the handlebars. Here are some pics of mine for you to check out.

Name:  2011-11-13132925.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  95.0 KB

Old 11-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

I have an 89 FLHS and am in the process of retro-fitting it to take a late model RK quick release windshield. When that is done I should be able to also use a dead center or other aftermarket RK batwing radio fairing with maybe a little mod to it for the guage pod. If you ar interested I can give you some insight to the upgrade/change.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Amckee2
Intermediate

[quote=vegasjones;9038469]Did you ever figure this out? If not I think I can help you out. I just finished mine up. I have a 93 FLHS. I kept the bread box dash as it really can be a mess to replace. You can use a shovelhead fairing and mounts, you just have to mod the "L" brackets on the mounts a bit to make it work. I just got mine finished up and painted today so if you need some advice just let me know. As far as tunes you can find those aftermarket kits that mount to the handlebars. Here are some pics of mine for you to check out.

Thanks, I read you got your fairing from a shop? What pipes,Air cleaner do you have on there?

Old 11-17-2011, 01:16 AM
vegasjones
Intermediate

[quote=Amckee2;9049816]
Originally Posted by vegasjones
Did you ever figure this out? If not I think I can help you out. I just finished mine up. I have a 93 FLHS. I kept the bread box dash as it really can be a mess to replace. You can use a shovelhead fairing and mounts, you just have to mod the "L" brackets on the mounts a bit to make it work. I just got mine finished up and painted today so if you need some advice just let me know. As far as tunes you can find those aftermarket kits that mount to the handlebars. Here are some pics of mine for you to check out.

Thanks, I read you got your fairing from a shop? What pipes,Air cleaner do you have on there?

I did get it from a shop. It's a local shop that actually carries some used parts too which is how I was able to score the fairing there.

That's a Forcewinder Intake and Supertrapp pipes. It's also bored out with 10.5:1 pistons, SE-57 cam, SE Ignition, roller rockers, all sorts of fun stuff. It scoots pretty well.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:10 PM
2-whlz
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Post pics

Originally Posted by vegasjones

Post in process pics. I wanna do that to my '89.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:13 PM
2-whlz
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountainkowboy
I have an 89 FLHS and am in the process of retro-fitting it to take a late model RK quick release windshield. When that is done I should be able to also use a dead center or other aftermarket RK batwing radio fairing with maybe a little mod to it for the guage pod. If you ar interested I can give you some insight to the upgrade/change.
I also have an '89 and would like to put the new quick release on for windshield n fairing. Pic of project if you got em would be great!!

Old 11-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by 2-whlz
I also have an '89 and would like to put the new quick release on for windshield n fairing. Pic of project if you got em would be great!!
Will get some pics this weekend of my progress, it works out pretty good. You will need the FLHS windshield, I have not been able to get the RK shield to work. The upright bars or mountings are farther apart on our windshields so you will need to make adaptor strips to mate the 2.

Quick Reply: 1992 FLHS to FLHTC??