EVO All Evo Model Discussion

My new 98 Fatboy - What to watch for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011 | 09:53 PM
jazzy jack
|
Road Captain

Hi FXD One, congrats on the superglide, I love those bikes, almost bought one instead of the fatty.

If you know the Bobcaygeon area I live close to the bottom of hwy 507, our own tail of the dragon!

Old 10-17-2011 | 09:57 PM
jazzy jack
|
Road Captain

Hi 6gear, thanks for the pointers. Being over in 'Nam it must be a trip riding around there.

Old 10-18-2011 | 04:51 AM
6gear
Cruiser

Hello Jazzy Jack,

My latest reply did not attach, no matter, something I forgot!!
I did replace the starter selenoid, twice. Once in Dallas. On another road trip it went out again on the first gas stop outta Norfolk. Late Oct. already and didn't want to deal with down time, so push started and didn't shut off till S. Ill. Push start again in morning and shut off that night in Mpls. Bloody cold ride, but bike did ok running non-stop all day. Since then no problem for over 15 k miles.

Yeah a real trip ridding over here. 1st HD to solo from china border to most southern town, twice. Next big road trip will be around the crown to finish off all major hiways, and lots of byways.
Cheers

Old 10-18-2011 | 05:02 PM
ccahdvm
Intermediate

I have a '98 fatboy that has about 65K on it now, had about 25k miles when I bought it several years ago. It's been a great bike for me & I have no plans on trading any time soon. It already had a mustang seat and K&N air filter. A crane cam ignition replaced the stock one that blew at about 40k miles, I put mini-apes on it, vance & hines straight shots, and 6 gallon tanks. those things helped, but the biggest improvement in performance was the recent top end (valves, rings, and a moderate cam) and a mikuni carb. Made a world of difference. I also put a larger transmission sprocket which made a huge difference keeping up with all my twin-cam buddies at highway speeds. Future wish list includes better rear lighting system, move the rear turn signals to allow bigger bags, maybe taller handle bars. Enjoy that evo-fatboy; it's a great harley with all kinds of custom options.

Old 10-18-2011 | 05:47 PM
FXD_One
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jazzy jack
Hi FXD One, congrats on the superglide, I love those bikes, almost bought one instead of the fatty.

If you know the Bobcaygeon area I live close to the bottom of hwy 507, our own tail of the dragon!
I know some what where you are, if your fimiliar with the Lakefield area I spent years wheeling jeeps down bass lake road.

I'll have to check out 507!

Old 10-21-2011 | 09:24 PM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member

the main things I watch for while on my 98 are the lovely ladies and low fuel prices
enjoy
now anyone got cake cause I got the coffee going

Last edited by teamstersteward; 10-21-2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: spl
Old 10-22-2011 | 07:55 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 6gear
Hello Jazzy Jack,

My latest reply did not attach, no matter, something I forgot!!
I did replace the starter selenoid, twice. Once in Dallas. On another road trip it went out again on the first gas stop outta Norfolk. Late Oct. already and didn't want to deal with down time, so push started and didn't shut off till S. Ill. Push start again in morning and shut off that night in Mpls. Bloody cold ride, but bike did ok running non-stop all day. Since then no problem for over 15 k miles.

Yeah a real trip ridding over here. 1st HD to solo from china border to most southern town, twice. Next big road trip will be around the crown to finish off all major hiways, and lots of byways.
Cheers
Where are you located in RVN?? I always thought that riding up highway 9 north of Hue or over the Hai Van pass just north of Da Nang on a Harley would be a fun ride . There is a great view of the ocean and the famous "China Beach" from the top of the pass.

Last edited by miacycles; 10-22-2011 at 08:01 AM.