EVO All Evo Model Discussion

RESTORE Engine treatment?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 09:44 PM
dz1087
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RESTORE Engine treatment?

Well, I have a oil burning problem, and low compression. Does anyone have any grief or horror stories, etc about running engine treatments like RESTORE in the evo? I figure I'm gonna need at least a partial rebuild in another 20k or so, so what do I have to lose by NOT doing this?

Old 10-17-2011, 12:30 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 848 Likes on 456 Posts

You could lose money or you could lose your motor, if the rings and pistons are so worn that a ring breaks then its bad news....wrenches don't come in a can ;-)

Old 10-17-2011, 05:06 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I haven't used RESTORE, but have used seafoam in gas and the oil. Maybe all in my head, but seems like I can tell the difference when I don't put it in the gas. Mine don't burn oil, so can't speak to that, but supposed to keep things freed up and running smooth.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:11 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Restore is filled with soft metals that are supposed to fill in any cracks and inconsistencies in the motor. Once you start with that stuff you gotta keep using it. And it's pretty much finished in 2000 miles and your problem returns.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose
I haven't used RESTORE, but have used seafoam in gas and the oil. Maybe all in my head, but seems like I can tell the difference when I don't put it in the gas. Mine don't burn oil, so can't speak to that, but supposed to keep things freed up and running smooth.
Seafoam cleans,which makes this particular problem worse.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:31 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I was speaking to the fact that maybe the rings were gummed up and not seating against the cylinder walls. All in all I agree with your assessment. In any event I think it would be worth a shot as a temporary fix, not long term.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:12 PM
medicchief
6th Gear
Default I agree

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Restore is filled with soft metals that are supposed to fill in any cracks and inconsistencies in the motor. Once you start with that stuff you gotta keep using it. And it's pretty much finished in 2000 miles and your problem returns.
I have used restore in a SBC and noticed a difference after the first 100 miles. That said, I had to keep adding a can at every oil change to maintain the results. It's a bandaid on a wound which won't heal itself.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:50 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How many miles on the motor? It could be worn out or it might need the valves lapped! more info would be helpful.
Hatch.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:21 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose
I was speaking to the fact that maybe the rings were gummed up and not seating against the cylinder walls. All in all I agree with your assessment. In any event I think it would be worth a shot as a temporary fix, not long term.
I never thought about the rings. Good point. And absolutely right. A band aid fix and your oil filter ends up filtering out the metals meant to band aid the problem. Unless the filter is so plugged it goes into bypass and doesnt filter at all. I dunno. Try a thicker oil. Way thicker

Old 10-17-2011, 11:37 PM
rebeldriver
6th Gear

for best results, tear it down and rebuild the top end, you will sleep better at night. and want be afraid to go out of town on it. if it's smoking you want get 20k out of it...

Quick Reply: RESTORE Engine treatment?