1993 Evo Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 02:50 PM
ladman0311
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Evo Transmission Problems

Heres the scoop,

my 93 evo fatboy has been having some problems as of late. A few months back i was riding and i the bike was making a noise almost like the primary chain had become really loose and was sloping around the primary case. I got it home and checked it and it was fine. i went to start the bike to move it and then i made a really horable grinding noise. i quickly shut it off. I was like WTF!!!! At first i thought it was the starter gear but it was not. I then doug into the transmission and found a few things.

One: The transmisison shifter on between the primary and the transmission was very loose. I just read an article on this here a moment ago, so i can fix that. (was having trouble finding netrual and shifting sometims so that explains this)

Second: I took the top cover off the transmission to see if i could see the noise it was makeing. Prior to this, after i shut the bike off when it made this sound, when the bike was being pushed, it was makeing a clicking noise ever revolution of the rear wheel. this is why i opened up the trany. i could see that the shift fork and gear closest to the primary was rubing and the "Dog" on the gear was being forced on and then droping in, hence the noise. I removed the cam, and poof the noise went away. I removed the forks so measure them, and as i read threw my repair manual, the forks and cam i removed from my bike did not match what should be in it.

For somoe reason the forks do not have the pad in them that it showed in the repair book. I will attach a picture of the fork in this Thread.

What i was wondering was two things. Did harley in 1993 have like what some car companies do when you get a new year bike, but i can have parts in it from the prior year? another words earley 93 could have parts built with 92 and later 93 was all new 93 components. since 93 was a new design year i did not know if that could occour.

The second thing i was wondering is does it make a difference what type of forks i buy to replace these. do i have to find the ones that match the 84-92 to put in my bike that have no pads on the forks, or do i get the ones with pad from 93 on?

oh, i have the numbers off the trans and engine, i dont now how to research the bike to find out the whole prior year thing i was talking about. Here are the numbers:

Transmission: 97198015
Engine: BMLP032974

when i bought this bike used 3 years ago, the owner said he had trany work done, but know paper work to back it. maybe the guy who did the work put the wrong stuff in? IDK

Ill have to upload the photo when i get home

Old 10-09-2011, 03:52 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Buy the proper forks for your year and put them in. There are people out there that think "close enough is good enough". The repair person probably used the wrong part as you summised, or the MOCO made "improvements on the fork.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 845 Likes on 454 Posts

Check the shimming on the selector drum (cam), make sure the spring clip is in place and there is a shim behind it.

Other than that you may have bent a selector fork and that can be checked with a 90 degree straight edge.