EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Squeaking Noise at idle and under torque

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:47 AM
dz1087
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking Noise at idle and under torque

Well, as the title says, I have some sort of squeaking coming from somewhere on the bike at idle and while the bike is torqued up - i.e. accelerating. I'm fairly sure it is the same squeak. I was wondering if anyone had a similar, high pitched squeak? It seems to happen the more the bike vibrates, and I was thinking maybe an engine mount. Does anyone have experience with an engine mount squeaking?

Old 10-07-2011, 03:11 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Check your engine mounts, and the exhaust, especially the rear rubber brackets. You may want to lube those brackets. also check the exhaust for leaks and cracks. Hope this helps.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:43 PM
dz1087
Cruiser

I hope nothing is cracked. I guess I'll just grab it and shake the bejeezus out of it while it's cold and see if I can recreate it.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:47 PM
kdichs1015
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Often the sound you described is the rubber mounts for the exhaust in the rear below the saddlebags. Grease every few thousand miles quiets it down. If it squeaks at idle, just lay down under the bike and you should be able to isolate it.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:05 AM
95 Ultra
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has a "chirp" at idle and I've been over the bike a hundred times and still can't find where it's coming from.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior

Mine has alot of squeaks, rattles and vibrations coming from it too. I started noticing when I switched back to quieter mufflers. I keep tightening things but nothing changes. I have zero performance issues and nothing has fallen off. I just let it go. I assume its age.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:01 PM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic Eagle
I started noticing when I switched back to quieter mufflers.
You identified your problem. Switch the exhaust back and the squeaks, rattles, etc. all go away.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:16 AM
dz1087
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Classic Eagle
Mine has alot of squeaks, rattles and vibrations coming from it too. I started noticing when I switched back to quieter mufflers. I keep tightening things but nothing changes. I have zero performance issues and nothing has fallen off. I just let it go. I assume its age.

Yeah, that was my problem too, so I just switched back to my loud pipes. It could just be age too though, that kind of stuff just really bugs me.

Quick question though, when did you get your bike? I ask because my parents had a classic that exact year and color that was totaled around 98-99 in a Toy for Tots in east Tennessee when a car was rear-ended into the motorcycles. Probably not the same bike, but it is a small world....

Old 10-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dz1087
Yeah, that was my problem too, so I just switched back to my loud pipes. It could just be age too though, that kind of stuff just really bugs me.

Quick question though, when did you get your bike? I ask because my parents had a classic that exact year and color that was totaled around 98-99 in a Toy for Tots in east Tennessee when a car was rear-ended into the motorcycles. Probably not the same bike, but it is a small world....

I got it in Wisconsin (SP?) from a salvage dealer in 04 or 05 cant remember right now..Its an age thing?? Anyhow, It came originally from an Indiana insurance company (Farmers) and thats about all I know of its history. I did alot of work to it. It came with a clear title and wasnt listed as salvage. It was actually rideable when I bought it but alot of cosmetic damage done and the rear fender pushed into the tire. I did some quick repairs enough to get it safety inspected in Ohio to be able to transfer the title and then the real work began. She has been a VERY dependable bike. I think whoever owned it before the "crash" took good care of it. I have too.

As for the mufflers. I put Thunderheader slipons on during the rebuild. I loved them and never had a problem. When I moved to SC the people in the neighborhood didnt feel the same way. So to keep peace, I went back to stock. Still miss that sound!

Last edited by Classic Eagle; 10-09-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:03 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Check the rear muffler mounts to ensure that you have clearance between the muffler and the rear bracket. If you don't, put some washers betwen the top bracket/clamp and the muffler. Sometimes the muffler will rub on the bracket and squeak, it wil also squeak if it isn't centered and it rubs against it. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Squeaking Noise at idle and under torque