EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Brake upgrade on my 1984 FLHTC

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011 | 10:26 PM
10Seconds
|
Cruiser
Default Brake upgrade on my 1984 FLHTC

So after returning from a 400 mi run today, I definitely decided its time to do something about those front brakes.

I have seen posts with people swaping the 2000 and up lower forks and using the 2008 brembo calipers. I think this is what I want to do and see several options for the parts on ebay, but I want to make sure that this will work on a 1984. Most of the swaps I found here after searching were on 1995, etc. I never found one on a bike as old as mine so want to make sure before I drop a few hundred bucks.

Also, what rotors and size do I need?

Old 10-03-2011 | 07:58 PM
95yj
Road Captain

Unless there's a reason you want to change out your forks, you could always pick up a good set of 4 piston PM's or other brand to your liking which would fit your current rotor and fork tubes.

Old 10-04-2011 | 05:16 AM
grbrown
Club Member

I went over the top when I did my bike, with 13" rotors and 6-pot calipers and, just in case, braided hoses! However if your bike is stock, there are things you can do to improve your current brakes, such as braided hoses and after-market pads. It is worth considering them, before plunging into bigger expense.

Old 10-05-2011 | 04:33 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

You can use the 4-pot Brembos with your standard fork legs if you use an adaptor plate Make sure you use a narrow glide caliper (Wide glide ones from the later bikes are different and too wide to clear your spokes).
Did the conversion on my 1986 Sporty and loved it!

Old 10-05-2011 | 02:51 PM
10Seconds
|
Cruiser

I am asking because I have some access to these parts relatively cheap. I would love the PM or other aftermarket stuff but its too expensive right now. I have already done pads and braided lines, but that was not nearly what I had hoped for, so I am thinking of going with the brembos if I can make it work with my forks and trees that I have without swapping over the whole front end.

I don't really like the look of the adaptors, I like it to still look like it came with those brakes.

Old 10-05-2011 | 04:14 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

You get used to the look, especially when you get to see how well the brakes work ;-)

Old 10-05-2011 | 04:44 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Talking

Originally Posted by 10Seconds
I am asking because I have some access to these parts relatively cheap. I would love the PM or other aftermarket stuff but its too expensive right now. I have already done pads and braided lines, but that was not nearly what I had hoped for, so I am thinking of going with the brembos if I can make it work with my forks and trees that I have without swapping over the whole front end.

I don't really like the look of the adaptors, I like it to still look like it came with those brakes.
You have two choices! Make it look as if they belong and spend big bucks, in which case you might as well buy PMs; or save cash and use adapters. You can't have your cake AND eat it!

Old 10-05-2011 | 09:51 PM
10Seconds
|
Cruiser

You guys are not getting me. I can get the fork lowers, and brembo parts for $250. The PM stuff starts around $600. I want to know if the 2000+ forks and stuff will fit my 1984.

Buying the adapters doesnt make sense to me if I am getting a 2000+ entire front end, trees, etc. for $250. But I dont want to buy it and then find out I would still need to buy more to do it.

Old 10-06-2011 | 06:00 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member

It should bolt right up with no modifications. In that $250....does that include the wheel and axle? You may have to purchase a new tire as well as the bikes with brembo came with a different size.

If the speedo runs off the front wheel, you'll need to figure out how to make that work.

Old 10-06-2011 | 06:14 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 10Seconds
You guys are not getting me. I can get the fork lowers, and brembo parts for $250. The PM stuff starts around $600. I want to know if the 2000+ forks and stuff will fit my 1984.

Buying the adapters doesnt make sense to me if I am getting a 2000+ entire front end, trees, etc. for $250. But I dont want to buy it and then find out I would still need to buy more to do it.
Well we do get it! It is easier and probably no more expensive to buy bolt-on calipers, cheapest to buy adapters. See also EVOrider's post.

It is not always possible to prove that something can definitely be done with no risk. Sometimes you have to take courage in both hands and make a start on your preferred way ahead. I can't find anyone who has fitted a Deuce rear wheel in a Glide, so I now have a Deuce wheel and will bl**dy well find out for myself! Get stuck in.....

Quick Reply: Brake upgrade on my 1984 FLHTC