EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Oil cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:00 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Yes, as mentioned, nothing but hoses is needed. I also suggest a thermostat. Either get a cooler with one built in or get a separate unit like this one:
https://www.denniskirk.com/_.p31384.prd/49218.sku
if you can find one. It looks like that is NLA. Maybe someone else makes one or you can find a new-old-stock item.
Thermostats are a matter of personal preference, if you feel you need one then by all means get one. We've run oil coolers for years, the first ones we used were off of imported cars as nobody had them for bikes yet. Up here in the northeast we just have an upholstery shop make a neat looking cover and put that on if it gets below freezing, otherwise we leave it open. Most dino oils have a wide operating temperature range and synthetics are even wider. The V-Twin engine is air cooled, but the oil helps cooling also. Sometimes when thing get repeated enough they become fact with out any credible research attached to it. While the years we've run coolers may or may not count as scientific, we feel it is worthy of consideration. Others mey disagree and that does not make them wrong, it is just a different opinion. Do your research and go from there. Judging from your location, I'd say your riding conditions are probably close to ours.
In closing I would remind you to be sure all hoses are protected from rubbung and have the gentlest bends possible so that flow is not comprimised. Hope this helps