EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Cam cover change

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 12:48 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by miacycles
WP50, the rocker boxes stay on if you use the "E-Z install" type. If you use the non E-Z install adjustable, the rocker boxes must come off. Hope this helps.
Got the EZ part and I may have answered the second ? Mine being a97 evo Push rod covers can be reused Correct Thanks a heap Sir

Old 08-31-2011, 12:59 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

You good with 95% of the aftermarket better quality pushrods , the cheapy one are the problem and your covers never are replaced unless you've gone huge motor then they are a bit different .

Old 08-31-2011, 07:33 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
You good with 95% of the aftermarket better quality pushrods , the cheapy one are the problem and your covers never are replaced unless you've gone huge motor then they are a bit different .
I kinda caught that so thanks. Now the bushings are coming more into play than I thought to begin with. DUH BG Not to mention the endplay. .001 -.050 is a hellava spec if I got it right. In changing only the cover (provided I don`t find something ugly in there) are the odds in my favor that the endplay will be in that spec. Hang on second How much much endplay should I try for. LMAO I kinda feel like I bought a boat without motor.. Yea I did that once Please don`t ask WP

Old 09-01-2011, 03:06 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 449 Posts

End play needs to be set with the lifters out, put new cover on, check end play, if its within those specs then put the lifters back in...easy :-) Don't bother changing them to one end of the spec or another if they come within tolerance first go.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:25 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
End play needs to be set with the lifters out, put new cover on, check end play, if its within those specs then put the lifters back in...easy :-) Don't bother changing them to one end of the spec or another if they come within tolerance first go.
He's right . I cheat I made a trick set of bars & feeler gages so I can check the bushing shoulder height on the bike either by moving the cover out 1/2" or popping a lifter block on shovels or older . Done a few cam cover changes so it was worth it to me . Evo's have a loose cam end play if I remember right . You got a lot of room to play there without the shim game . If you've got a set of calipers measure the cam shim .055" is the usual one with Evo's , I set them up tighter but I've got the big *** shim assortment kit too . Keep us posted please or shoot me a Pm for an in depth thing if you want .

Old 09-02-2011, 07:35 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

Keep us posted please or shoot me a Pm for an in depth thing if you want .
I certainly appreicate the PM offer and will take ya up on it. I have had 2 more irons thrown in my fire. LOL On top of others . It will be a bit before I can get back on this project and I`ll probably just do it when I tear the bike down for paint. Will stay in touch reading here and catching any extra info. Thank You and all very much for your time and help WP

Old 09-02-2011, 06:59 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know if it's worth mentioning but when you replace the cam cover hopefully the bushing is in line with the cam bearing in the R/H engine case. The B-T's are much more forgiving with that alignment....Learned that the hard way playing with Sporty's and 4-cam bushings along with the pinion shaft bushing!!!

Old 09-02-2011, 07:47 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SportsterBob
Don't know if it's worth mentioning but when you replace the cam cover hopefully the bushing is in line with the cam bearing in the R/H engine case. The B-T's are much more forgiving with that alignment....Learned that the hard way playing with Sporty's and 4-cam bushings along with the pinion shaft bushing!!!
That aglinment has come into play. As it is ending up I`m not quite as ready to do this as I thought. I`ll research this a bit more, this had crossed my mind. LOL I wasn`t ready for all the stuff in changing a cover. It`s cool I`ll get it down sooner or latter. Since it`s been brought up, any thoughts on this subject ? Thanks for the input Bob WP

Old 09-02-2011, 08:00 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

"Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!

ROFLMAO I hadn't heard that before. Where the H%$# were you 30 yrs ago. Ahhh Never mind I wouldn't have listened anyway. BG At 56 I think I have done more than my share to try and prove that WRONG. Ok that`s one for the youngsters. 14 yr old grandson is the first one that comes to mind. Have a good 1 WP lmao

Old 09-05-2011, 07:33 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

He's right . I cheat I made a trick set of bars & feeler gages so I can check the bushing shoulder height on the bike either by moving the cover out 1/2" or popping a lifter block on shovels or older . Done a few cam cover changes so it was worth it to me . Evo's have a loose cam end play if I remember right . You got a lot of room to play there without the shim game . If you've got a set of calipers measure the cam shim .055" is the usual one with Evo's , I set them up tighter but I've got the big *** shim assortment kit too . Keep us posted please or shoot me a Pm for an in depth thing if you want .
Sent ya PM with a couple of questions Thanks WP

Quick Reply: Cam cover change