EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Here's a funny story

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 12:32 PM
fogcity123
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's a funny story

About a week ago I posted a thread about how to find a leak in my gas tank. A couple members replied to coat the tank with soapy water, put some pressurized air in tank and look for bubbles - great idea that made sense. So, instead of drilling a hole in an old gas cap (which I didn't have) and filling it with air by a bicycle pump, I decided to use a hairdryer instead because the nozzle fit perfectly snug into the gas filler hole. So after I had my tank filled with water over night, I drained it, put soapy water all over it, made sure the blowdryer was set set to cold and gave it a try in my bathroom. In no short order there was a boom, followed by the smell of burnt hair, and then a relief that I was still alive. But then, panic as I saw that my gas tank was on fire, flames spewing out the gas filler hole, worried now that I was going to burn my house down.

I ran through the hallway with the gas tank, now looking like the Olympic Torch, to the nearest exit. The only problem was that my hands were still covered with soapy water I couldn't manage to turn the door **** to get outside.

To end the story, I did make it outside and managed to blow out the flame. Frustrated by my foolishness, I said 'screw it' and chose to mount the tank back to my bike, fill it with gas, and let a shop figure it out. Of course it hasn't leaked again since filling it back up, me riding the bike for the last two days with no issue. Go figure.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Scratt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That was FUNNY!! Glad your ok!

Old 08-19-2011, 12:56 PM
MADHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well at least you didn’t burn your house down or get injured. As soon as I read gas tank and hairdryer I cringed…

Old 08-19-2011, 01:19 PM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MADHOG
As soon as I read gas tank and hairdryer I cringed…
Saw where that was going at the word hairdryer.

Maybe the tank just needed a quick expansion contraction cycle to fix the leak.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,910 Likes on 1,426 Posts

Originally Posted by MADHOG
As soon as I read gas tank and hairdryer I cringed…
Me too. DOODE, THINK!! HAIR DRIER = ELECTRIC SPARK SOURCE. GAS TANK = EXPLOSIVE FUMES SOURCE.

I ran a burn ICU for a month. NOT PHUN for the patients.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

ROFL.
Similar urban legend:
A MAN was working on his motorcycle on his patio and his engine on the motorcycle and somehow, the motorcycle slipped into gear The man still holding the handlebars, was dragged through a glass patio door and along with the motorcycle dumped onto the floor inside the house. The wife, hearing the crash, ran into the dining room, and found her husband laying on the floor, cut and bleeding, the motorcycle laying next to him and the patio door shattered. The wife ran to the phone and summoned an ambulance. Because they lived on a fairly large hill, the wife went down the several flights of long steps to the street to direct the paramedics to her husband. After the ambulance arrived and transported the husband to the hospital, the wife uprighted the motorcycle and pushed it outside. Seeing that gas had spilled on the floor, the wife obtained some papers towels, blotted up the gasoline, and threw the towels in the toilet. The husband was treated at the hospital and was released to come home. After arriving home, he looked at the shattered patio door and the damage done to his motorcycle. He became despondent, went into the bathroom, sat on the toilet and smoked a cigarette. After finishing the cigarette, he flipped it between his legs into the toilet bowl while still seated. The wife, who was in the kitchen, heard a loud explosion and her husband screaming. She ran into the bathroom and found her husband laying on the floor. His trousers had been blown away and he was suffering burns on the buttocks, the back of his legs and his groin. The wife again ran to the phone and called for an ambulance. The same ambulance crew was dispatched and the wife met them at the street. The paramedics loaded the husband on the stretcher and began carrying him to the street. While they were going down the stairs to the street accompanied by the wife, one of the paramedics asked the wife how the husband had burned himself. She told them and the paramedics started laughing so hard, one of them tipped the stretcher and dumped the husband out. He fell down the remaining steps and broke his arm. Now THAT is a bad day...

Old 08-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

Funny stuff........glad your ok.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,910 Likes on 1,426 Posts

Years (ugh, decades) ago, National Lampoon had an article on exploding toilets. Most involved dumping solvents or gas down the commode and smoking.

More seriously, an acquaintance of mine in Central Texas, when I lived there, was working on his bike (Shovelhead). He had the battery on a charger and drained the gas out of the tank, into a pan, if I recall. Well, the charger sparked or did when connected or disconnected, lit the gas, the bike and him. He put the fire out and died in that burn unit that I would years later work at.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:16 PM
fogcity123
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As stupid as I am, I perhaps may not be the only one, so I just wanted to post in hopes that no one else does such a thing. I really thought filling and draining a tank with H2O would leave it gas-free (or at least enough not to cause an explosion). Didn't think about the spark from the dryer until afterwards.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:29 PM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for making me laugh. Sounds like something I would do for sure.

Quick Reply: Here's a funny story