EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Here's a funny story

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 11:58 PM
NutterFLH
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That`s really funny.

Some two years ago I was working on my CV carb, couldn`t get it right so I decided to start the engine up without the air filter element and it`s cover and look into the carb a bit closer. The engine started up, ran OK, acc. pump giving a good shot of gas into the carb. Then suddenly the engine has backfired into to carb, set the carb throat on fire..... Oh crap! I`ve seen some fire around the carb on both sides, some fire underneath the tank, on the fuel lines... Not much time to think what to do. I ripped the carb off the engine, together with the backing plate, covered the carb on boths sides with my bare hands to keep the fire inside it. .Got some burns to my hands/arms but at the end my bike has been saved from burning .

Other day my friend was drunk and somehow he broke his leg while coming back home from a party. Been sitting at home all days with gypsum cast on his leg. One day he decided to go to a local shop, just to get some beer. Somehow he hooked up on the curb, fell off and broke his arm. We all laughed, telling him that it was God`s punishment because he was getting drunk too often.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:28 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 845 Likes on 454 Posts

You only needed to put a wet cloth over the filler hole and it would have gone out.....but it wouldn't have been such a funny story then :-)

Old 08-20-2011, 04:10 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Years (ugh, decades) ago, National Lampoon had an article on exploding toilets. Most involved dumping solvents or gas down the commode and smoking.

More seriously, an acquaintance of mine in Central Texas, when I lived there, was working on his bike (Shovelhead). He had the battery on a charger and drained the gas out of the tank, into a pan, if I recall. Well, the charger sparked or did when connected or disconnected, lit the gas, the bike and him. He put the fire out and died in that burn unit that I would years later work at.
Wow, that is terrible. People underestimate the power of 12 volt batteries to injure. When I was in college, I blew up the battery in my 66 Mustang, by not disconnecting the negative first, and attaching last. After I cleaned the battery, I reattached the negative, energizing the frame, and after cleaning the battery and attaching the positive terminal, my socket wrench hit the frame, spark, and boom. My battery disappeared, my skin started burning. Luckily I was wearing glasses, and was able to jump in the shower, since I was home.
Doc, thanks for the work you do. I know it is emotionally draining.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:22 AM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In the early 60s I had an old BSA C15 (Pic.attached) which I spent a lot of money on.
In these days you could really tune these old 250s and I did "the lot"....Roller main bearing, re-profiled head , 10-1 Pistons,hi-lift cams, inlet port to 1.1/4". TT Carb,Norton F.Brake..
After doing all that I decided to have the Gas tank CHROME plated.
Got that done,re-fitted the Tank, filled with Gas,went for a ride,took some pics of the "new look" and overall (for that era)was very proud of the outcome.
A few days later I went to the Gas station to fill up. Filled up,kick started the bike,
then "WHOOSH" flames everywhere and the bike rapidly disintegrating before my very eyes. Ran into the Garage foyer to get a fire extinguisher but it was too late!
Bike destroyed. The Gas tank,which had seams,must have been damaged during the Chroming process and the gas leak had dripped directly on to the distributor.
Ah...."the good old days". Bungo

Attached Thumbnails Here's a funny story-bsa-c15.jpg  

Last edited by BungoBill; 08-20-2011 at 04:26 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:12 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The best way to get the gas out of the tank is to rinse it with soap and water, then we go out to the truck and start itup. Next we stick the exhaust pipe in the filler neck. This replaces the combustible fumes with the non-combustible exhaust. You can now weld, or do any other crazy, spark producing actions you would care to do.

As far as the leak being fixed, I would bet it isn't. You probably just torqued it down a little different. If there is room between the tank ears and the mounting flanges you need to shim it with washers to avoid damaging the tank. Hope this helps.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Clutch70
Road Master

Good story. One time I was Plumbing and ran my torch across my glue can, yes i left it under the sink while soldering the Water shut off valves. Bad move! The next thing you know I'm running thru a women's house with a flaming glue can in my hand! I tried to throw it out the back door and caught her drapes on fire!!! That's a bad day!!

Old 08-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Torque1340
4th Gear

I too, am not the brightest bulb on the tree. The battery on my 1993 FLHS had recently desided to light its last bulb and crank its last piston. In my infinite wisdom I decided to remove dead battery from motorcycle. Removed cover from Maintenance Free battery. You know the one that states "DO NOT REMOVE"! I filled each of the six holes with tap water. Put the Do Not Remove cover back on the battery. Charged over night, then reinstalled in motorcycle. Bike started and ran great for 2 weeks, untill the starter began staying engaged, with the engine running. Took seat off to locate starter relay, only to find battery acid covering wiring, battery and relays. What a mess! Im still cleaning it up. Lesson learned I guess. Started out feeling like I outsmarted the situation, ended up feeling very frustrated stupid!