EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1997 flhri running bad,help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 01:23 PM
skipc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 flhri running bad,help!!!

I have a `97 road king,fuel ini.and the problem is it runs rough,backfires and seems to get no fuel at low throttle positions.It runs good on the Hwy at speed,but when I slow down it wants to cut off.If I pull in the clutch and twist the wick a couple of times it starts to ruo ok again.Bike has a PC-3 hooked up.I` thinking it`s the PC-3 or throttle position sensor. Tonight i`ll disconnect the PC-3 and run on the ECM to see if thats the problem.Thanks in advance for any help i can get.I have no problem diggin into stuff,been working on diesel buses for many years.Thanks,Skip

Old 08-12-2011, 03:24 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

First things first. Try resetting the ECM. Disconnect the battery for about 30 min. then run switch "on", turn ign. switch "on" wait 2 sec. after fuel pump quits running, then switch "off", repeat. Then try disconnecting PCII. Could also be fuel filter, TPS, Cam or Crank Sensor.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:18 PM
skipc
Cruiser
Default Flhri-help!

Disconnected PC-3,ran on stock ECM--same problem.Anyone got any ideas?please,thanks,Skip

Old 08-13-2011, 12:51 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Start by resetting the ECM. Check to make sure that your IAC is operating. This is a go/no go test. If it moves during a cold start up it is probably good. Then check the cold idle setting following steps in M-1105
http://www.harley-heaven.com/M1105_idle_speed_MM.pdf
You can check the voltage at the TPS by slipping a bare wire down the purple/grey wire in the TPS connector and hooking your DVM + up to that, and - to ground.
If none of those fix the issue then you have to start diagnosing using the steps in the shop manual.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:53 PM
97Ultra
Novice

skipc,

I had the same problem last spring. Unfortunately my 97 Ultra Classic started acting up when I was down in Daytona for Bike Week. My engine temp sensor was the problem. This sensor has been a problem around the 30K threshold. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:54 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 892 Posts

Try resetting your ECM first as larsfum mentioned, check your intake seals with a spray fluid just to be sure and then replace the temperature sensor if the intake seals are ok, the temp sensor is common to fail and not send up a code and cause a lean condition if out of parameters one way or flood it if the readings are the other way. See if your fast idle at start up is changing from previous start ups before problem started, the temp sensor also controls that and can be an indication of failing but usually just causes a runability issue when going bad.

The intake temperture sensor will get oil/crud on it and will cause an irratic idle and die. Nose cone module will melt and cause problems all the way thru the rpm range so can't see them being a problem. Intake seals arn't as vital on a EFI as a carb but can still cause a lean condition, I had a brace break and tore a intake seal, the engine will run lean on a EFI system so make sure to check the mechanical parts first.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:01 PM
skipc
Cruiser
Default `97 RK runs bad

thanks guys,i`ll try all your sugestions.Can`t seem to find the temp sensor.Book tells me it`s on L/ft. cyl head but its not.Looks to be in center top of #1 cyl head.Is that where yours is? thanks,Skip

Old 08-14-2011, 03:38 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 892 Posts

Center of front head, raise the tank up with a block of wood and sneak out the sensor, easier than draining the tank.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:45 PM
1gatomontes
Stage III

You might want to check the inside of the gas tank. Next time your tank is near empty, take a look with a good flashlight and see if there's any debris inside. The liner was pealing off in my '04 FLHRI, which caused symptoms similar to what you're experiencing.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:34 PM
skipc
Cruiser
Default Update,`97 rk runnin good now!

Thanks to everyone here who helped me out.I was away for the past week so i didn`t get to the bike.It was the temp sensor.I picked one up at HD this morning and installed it after work.Runs like new.It was an easy fix;lifted tankand prop[ed with a block of wood and sneaked it in and out of the head.Took less than 1/2 hr.Thanks again,love this board.Skip

Quick Reply: 1997 flhri running bad,help!!!