EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Windshield Choices

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts
Default Windshield Choices

I've been toying with the idea of a detachable windshield, like the Road King has. So I found this smokin deal on a complete RK windshield ($10.00), the plastic is trashed, but it had the detach brackets and the chrome pieces and they are in good shape. So I went by the dealer and picked up the RK windshield rubber pucks and popped them on the FLHS and guess what..........the RK windshield brackets pop right on. I'm gunna have to reverse the retaining clips to the outside of the brackets and the FLHS windshields upright mounts are farther apart, so I will have to fab an offset bracket to adapt, but its gunna work, and I will be able to pop the windshield on and off at will. Can probably get a Memphis Shades batwing to fit now too.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:52 PM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you just need the Plastic, Cee Bailys sell it. They make Aircraft windows. They are not Lexan. I bought one of their 9" wind shields for my FLHTC and am happy with it. They are a little thicker than stock. You can call and talk with them and tell them your needs. They were real cool on the phone.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts

There are several suppliers of the plastic blade, including Harley. Pop over to Touring (if you can bear to!) and take a look in there, where there are a lot of threads on windshields of all sorts for Harleys.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:26 AM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member

Sorry......I dont need a windshield. I'm in the process of making my stock windshield detachable like the Road Kings is. The problem I've run into it that the vertical mounting strips on the FLHS dont line up with the RK setup and I have to make adaptors to get it to work. The RK mount setup is way to close together for the shield to be modified for the large gauge nacell on the FLHS.......but it is possible to make the FLHS windshield detach quickly like the RK does.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:18 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts

The FLHS windshield is held on with four bolts, which take a few moments to remove and refit. I'd like to see a race against a quick release one to see which is quickest! Harley seem to have taken the quick change thing beyond reasonable bounds.

My wife bought a new SuperLow in March. She wanted a windshield and rack, but could only have qd ones, not ones that stay where they're put and are more affordable!

Old 08-17-2011, 08:44 PM
2-whlz
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Mountainkowboy;8685836]Sorry......I dont need a windshield. I'm in the process of making my stock windshield detachable like the Road Kings is.

Would love to see pics of your mod when complete! I am looking at doing something similar this winter! I like the windshield when the temp starts to go down, but when it's hot/warm out i rather not have the shield on! I love the look of my bike with out the windshield on, to me it looks like another bike.
Thanks in advance for the completed photos,
Mike in Pa

Old 08-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member

[QUOTE=2-whlz;8707531]
Originally Posted by Mountainkowboy
Sorry......I dont need a windshield. I'm in the process of making my stock windshield detachable like the Road Kings is.

Would love to see pics of your mod when complete! I am looking at doing something similar this winter! I like the windshield when the temp starts to go down, but when it's hot/warm out i rather not have the shield on! I love the look of my bike with out the windshield on, to me it looks like another bike.
Thanks in advance for the completed photos,
Mike in Pa
Will do, I havent been working on the bike lately. Been trying to get things ready for winter.......the acorns are already dropping from the oak tree's. Looks like winter will be early.