EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:26 PM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

"I also slid a photo under the case bottom lip also coated with grease,"

I don't understand this. Did auto spell correct substitute photo for pick or something?

Where can I order the time sert kit from that will be here quickly? I imagine they don't have them at Lowes or Home Depot...

Old 08-02-2011, 10:47 PM
D1gger
Road Captain

The time-serts themselves are only $2-3 each, but the Harley kit is $108.99!!! Anyone with the time-sert Harley kit wanna loan or rent me their time sert tool kit so I can get away with just buying a handful of the serts? I need the parts ASAP to get up and running, but don't have that much money right now to go buy the whole kit new... Can anyone help me out here? Please?

Pretty Please?

Old 08-02-2011, 11:23 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When I mentioned using the photo basically I put grease on the old picture and slid it between the crank surface and the casing of the hole I was going to drill and work on, any shavings would stick to the grease on the picture surface and the picture was tough enough material not to tear when I pulled it back out. I'm sure if you have like an auto zone or napa dealer or even a machine shop you can get the kit lent to you. If I wasn't up here in canada I'd mail u my kit but our postal sucks and you'd be waiting 2 weeks

Last edited by RidemyEVO; 08-02-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:56 PM
D1gger
Road Captain

Ah, I understand. I might use card stock or thin cardboard coated with grease to catch the shavings. Maybe even a glue trap if I have one laying around. I posted up on my facebook as well as here. Hopefully someone will help me out here. There's an indy I can ask, too, but I don't know if he uses them or not. Plus he recently had a break in and lost a bunch of tools, so who knows if he still has the right ones if he even uses them!

RidemyEVO: I see you have the same chicken-light panels around the side bags. Any idea where I might find new panels? Mine have a little rust on them...

So again, anyone around have the Time-sert HD kit(part number 0381D), size 3/8-16, that would loan or rent to me the tools from the kit so all I have to buy is the inserts themselves? I would really, really appreciate it! I will cover shipping, paypal ready, please let me know!

Old 08-03-2011, 04:50 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No idea aboutthe chicken lights. I checked the inserts I used and they are 1 inch in length. The kit contents are very simple and can probably gathered up separately although they are designed to do the job properly. This isn't a hidden secret so I'm sure a machine shop, garage or anyone into hotroding may have the kit pieces.Just don't go cheap with heli-coils, I've also heard good things about keen-serts.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:22 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by D1gger
chicken-light panels around the side bags. Any idea where I might find new panels? Mine have a little rust on them...
Those were dealer add-ons back when these bikes were new. I don't know if they are still available anywhere, but I have a set of them collecting dust somewhere. I'll try to remember to dig them out and see what condition they are in. If they look good, I will gladly sell them to you cheap.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:43 AM
D1gger
Road Captain

The indy was a wash, he doesn't use timeserts and his taps were stolen, so he can't help. Anyone out there able to help?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

People have reported success using Helicoils. A Helicoil set will be considerably cheaper and available at any auto parts store. Timeserts are considered a better fix.

Search the site here for Helicoil and Timesert and read the threads (so to speak).

Old 08-03-2011, 10:52 AM
D1gger
Road Captain

I know I want to use timeserts, I just need to find someone to loan me the timesert tools to hopefully avoid having to buy the kit for over $100

Old 08-03-2011, 12:04 PM
D1gger
Road Captain

Local dealer uses timeserts, but wont loan or rent me the tools from the kit... sheesh! Someone out there please help me! Lol!

Quick Reply: Blown head gasket