EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 03:04 AM
ionhd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are worried about the base gasket, it can be replaced without separating the piston from the cylinder, once the rocker box and head are removed, you lift the barrel just enough to expose the lower portion of the piston, remove the clips and push out the wrist pin, the cylinder can be removed from the bike with the piston inside, the base gasket can then be replaced.

I have done similar thing a few times, I find it easier and less chance of damaging the rings, to fit pistons to the cylinder off the bike then push the wrist pin in……….It would be wise to have another pair of hands if you are not used to doing this sort of thing.

And use the best gaskets you can get, i have used Cometic metal gaskets and not had one fail.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:35 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider
I had the exact same thing happen to my 1989 Ultra. Be sure not to start it with it blowing air out. It will melt the head or cylinder and you will not ever get a good seal.
Important point - don't ask me how I know.

I ended up having to replace the cylinder (actually replaced both) due to damage from the leaking gasket. I went with a full Cometic gasket set on re-assembly.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:44 AM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider
Be sure not to start it with it blowing air out. It will melt the head or cylinder and you will not ever get a good seal.
Umm... too late? I rode it home that way and I actually think I have had the leak for a while, it's just gotten worse... So now what? Am I going to have to have some machining done?

Old 07-29-2011, 12:01 PM
radiant111
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay. There is so much wisdom on this board you are in good hands but make it easier on yourself.
1. BUY YOUR MANUAL FOR YOUR BIKE
2. After you take down that rear cylinder you will need to inspect the edge all the way around the head and the cylinder, if there is damage to the aluminum you will need a new head or cylinder-hopefully this has not happened you will know soon enough.
3. Replace all the gaskets, base included you will kick yourself if after getting this done you have an oily leak at the base, because if you want to fix it it will be another set of gaskets....FIX IT NOW $4.00 for james base metal gasket.
4. Mark your pushrods rear exhause front intake with a piece of painters tape/masking
5. Lay out all screws in order you take them off.
6. clean and inspect all surfaceskeep dirt from getting down in the case.
7. Take your time and make sure you get a torque wrench , cheaper ones at harbor freight 20.00 MAKE SURE AFTER YOU reach the exact poundage on the headbolts it is 1/4 turn. I believe that is what the person who fixed your bike forgot- I remember this step for a reason- I made the mistake of not tightening the headbolts correctly and had to redo all my gaskets a 2nd time.
Now if you are experiencing any problems with lifters or pushrods now might be the time to do them without redoing the front head, otherwise this will go quite smooth, the Head and jug should be inspected as well and I would not hone anything at this time unless that rear has been damaged by the blow torch of exploding gas. So each step go through your plates, get that gasket off the tray with the rockers, inspect that head and cylinder then we will know more. Good luck

Last edited by radiant111; 07-29-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:53 PM
D1gger
Road Captain

So are you saying a 1/4 turn beyond exact poundage?

Old 07-29-2011, 07:00 PM
D1gger
Road Captain

The shop tech I spoke with today suggested I put the front cylinder at tdc with the rockers level before tearing it apart and I shouldn't need a spring compressor.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by D1gger
Umm... too late? I rode it home that way and I actually think I have had the leak for a while, it's just gotten worse... So now what? Am I going to have to have some machining done?
Well, it looks like the cylinder will need to be replaced. If you try to machine it you can change the compression. You can look on eBay or check your local dealer, or Indy. There are a lot that go with kits for 88ci and 95ci on EVO. That leaves the stock cylinders laying around. Better safe than sorry.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:32 PM
D1gger
Road Captain

I haven't gotten it apart yet as I busy with life today, but I did manage to order the cometic top end gasket kit as well as the manual. They are supposed to be in Wednesday. From what I can tell from the outside, it really doesn't look deformed too badly if at all. I'll know more once I get it apart. It wasn't shooting flames, I could just see a slight glowing slit with each spark and I could feel a puff of hot air with each spark as well. I really hope I don't need to replace the head or the cylinder. I'm already into this job for money I don't have, especially after just replacing the rear tire literally yesterday... The gasket kit was around $80 and the manual cost me $45.

If I do need the cylinder or the head, how much is that going to end up costing? Am I at the "light it on fire and push it off a cliff" stage yet? LOL!

Any of you with previous experience happen to be nearby? Southwestern PA near Seven Springs Ski Resort...

Old 07-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought that mine was ruined, for sure. But when I got the head off, all that was gone was the gasket it self. The cylinder and head was OK. i just made sure i bought the best head gasket I could find.

Good luck.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:48 PM
D1gger
Road Captain

Is it an ominous sign when a Klingon wishes you good luck? LOL! Thanks for the well wishes, I really appreciate all the help and info as well.

Quick Reply: Blown head gasket